Interior design and construction

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mc_rash, Mar 14, 2023.

1. mc_rash

mc_rash Senior Member

Hey guys!

This topic is not covered within my bachelor study maritime engineering - I'm still interested in interior design of boats, especially the engineering and construction part of it. I assume basically it does not differ very much from shore-based interior design (except for example using marine grade plywood, or fitting a rail at the edges of a table to prevent things from falling down due to ship motions, etc.).

Are there any recommondations or resources about interior design/engineering? I'm primarily interested in wooden interior. For example determining the thickness of the plating of a closet, designing details of the (invisible) plate connections, fasteners, etc.
    Probably there is a book which covers almost everything important about interior or furniture engineering - I hope so.

Greetings

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

First check out the anthropomorphic tables to make sure you have a viable layout.

https://multisite.eos.ncsu.edu/www-...16/06/Anthropometric-Detailed-Data-Tables.pdf

Otherwise I recommend the two books by Fred Bingham; Practical Yacht Joinery and Boat Joinery and Cabinet Making Simplified; for actual construction.

Finally, there are other studies I could look up that were done in the late 1940's/early 1950's if you really need to get into C3 layouts. Lots of work done on that.

mc_rash, rxcomposite and bajansailor like this.
  3. mc_rash

mc_rash Senior Member

Thanks for your reply @jehardiman , the antropomorphic tables are very helpfull although my question is better answered by the other part of your reply! I knew these tables or data exists but I didn't have had a version of it.

I will take a look on the the books by Fred Bingham. They sound to be what I was looking for tho they seem to be more practical than theoretical.

I'm not sure if I understood your last statement proper, but if you have other studies you could post or name here I would be grateful. For me it does not matter if these studies are 70-80 years old, they still might be quite interesting for me!

By the way - what are C3 layouts? Is it a special name for detailed interior layouts?

To makes things clear, right now I have no specific boat I want to fit some Interior nor I have specific plans for fitting some Interior. I'm asking "just for fun" to dig into this topic and maybe learn something helpful for the future/ future designs.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

C3 stands for Command, Control, and Communication. It can be used to refer to a watchstander station as well a just about any task in general. Have you ever wondered why automobile or aircraft dashes are arranged the way they are? Or large gageboards or switchpanels? There were ergonomic/operator interface/work efficiency studies done right after WWII to find out why some pieces of equipment worked well and others had operational issues. Much like the fridge-stove-sink triangle in kitchen design, there are some layouts that work better in the available space, and sometime where you need to change the space to make it workable. While I know of no text specifically for yacht design there are some typical rules like berths fore-and-aft, head higher than feet, sink next to cooktop, chart table/radio immediate to companionway, watchstander should preferably face forwards then athwartships then aft as last choice, etc. Try searching human engineering or ergonomics of design.

5. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

For general layout help and dimensions I find Ian Nicolson's Boat Data Book a very good place to start.The details of furniture construction are usually determined by the supervisor of the joinery department of the yard that builds the boat as most companies have their own proven methods for efficient production.

6. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

Particularly in sailboat design, a seemingly large preponderance of designers never got the memo on the proper layout for a head.
    Sitting on a toilet whilst facing inboard is the devil's choice.
    For a head that's aft of amidships one should sit facing forward, for a head forward of amidships one should sit facing aft.
    If a boat has two heads they should be on opposite sides.
    Seat height should be higher than what is typically used ashore in a "bathroom".
    In all cases, the bulkheads/cabinetry should be arranged so that one is able to brace themselves/lean against said bulkhead(s)/cabinetry.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.