raw water intake pipe

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cattelona, May 5, 2011.

1. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

hi ,
    just about to finish work on my coronet 21 dc with volvo 200 legs, replaced one of the two deisel engines tuns of rubber bits , O rings ,oil seals , impellers etc etc etc, existing raw water intake pipe is reinforced hard plastic like stuff I have had trouble with it staying on the connections , i understand that as its drawing water in its under negative pressure it may collapse but is there a rubber hose that would do same job , or is any good quality rubber hose ok even when it gets hot ? also what is the best type of fuel filter for a marine deisel , i cleaned out tank last year and will check it again this year but i seem to have to change filters quite often , how many microns etc i have fitted a water separater type filter , a friend has similar trouble ie fuel starvation at high revs he has two in line is that too many filters his boat is only two years old , it has fly by wire throttle with lots of pcb s its a vw deisel and just dropes back to 2k revs and stays there .
    thanks
    nick

2. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

g,day Nick
    The best type of Primary filter you can use is Racor, with sight bowl under.
    just you and your friend make sure you lines are big enough, supply and return
    10mm both on the 200 shp

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I heard once that fuel at the petrol station was filtered to 25microns 5 microns to the engine is real nice but you will be cleaning a lot, depends on the quality of fuel you buy.

I use PVC pipe on my intakes, they don't collapse, cheap and ubiquitous 1.1/2 if I remember. You can build in a extra nipple to the hose pipe for fresh water flushing.

4. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

hi frosty,
    many thanks for your remarks.
    nick