Modeling with GHS

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptia, Feb 20, 2012.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Hello Guys,

My company purchased a GHS key lately and I'm trying to start the modeling with the same. But, I'm not able to find anywhere in the help, how to start modeling the barge. Can anyone tell me how to start modeling (i think it is something similar to model maker of Autoship)? Please help.

Regards
    Aswin

2. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

Aswin,
    Its very simple,
    Model the hull in Rhino, then use the command "AttachGHSdata"
    then save the Rhino file by File>Save As and select the file format as .gf , and it is done...

3. conceptia

pavel, i dont have Rhino. :( is it possible to model in autocad?

4. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

Ok, as you dont hav rhino, you can use the evaluation version of Rhino which will give you 25 saves, but Rhino is the easiest way to make gf files,
    email the lines plan to me, I will try to make some time to model it in Rhino...

5. conceptia

thanks mate, this time it could help. But we seriously need to model all the barges in GHS on a regular basis. maybe, by next time we could completely use GHS for everything.

6. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

I think your company affords 1000 USD more to by Rhino to make the model making for GHS quicker and easier,,,

7. CmbtntDzgnr

CmbtntDzgnr Senior Member

PolyCAD has some GHS/GF capability. Not sure if it will do all you need, but...

http://polycad.co.uk/downloads.htm

For some situations, it is quite useful. For instance, I developed a hull in Delftship & FreeShip+ (Hydronship). I exported it as DXF 3D PL and DXF mesh in Punch ViaCAD Pro & Punch Shark. VCP/Shark imports the curves, but they far more control points than I care for, since in DS/FS+ I created stations having some 15 control points. But, in VCP/Shark, I end up with multiple dozens if not ~ 80 control points. Thickening a surface can be troublesome.

After playing around with PolyCAD, I figured out how to apply a B-spline curve to the polylines. I use from 6 to 10 control points, depending on the curvature, but I try to keep all stations to the same number to keep panels cleaner/neater. Once I replaced those multi-noded polylines with bspline curves, I was down to around 6 control points. Exporting those back to VCP and Shark shows that I have vastly cleaned up my stations. Even in FS+ with only some 10 control points, i *cannot* obtain such control point-free curves for use once imported into VCP/Shark.

I also import PolyCAD GF models into Freeship +, but that is intermittently successful, success in my case being dependent upon remembering to turn the ruled surfaces into meshes and the meshes to bspline surfaces, since going from ruled surfaces directly to bspline surfaces. Ruled surfaces result when creating a surface between two polylines. Converting pls to bslpline curves and selecting the (two and only two at a time) curves enables the contextual menu to present the option for creating a bspline surface.

In Delfthip, likely the same as in Freeshp+, your surface mesh exported produces panels or facets. If you set the FS/DS quality to "Low", you will likely see rectangular panels depending upon how many control points on on a given station. But, increasing the quality to High or Very High will slow down your computer in calculations and in refreshes and in manipulating the model.

I hope this is useful info.

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Wo wo wo slow down. Exporting and importing is always a pain in the butt and should be avoided whenever possible. The original poster has only specified that he wants to model barges. It is very easy to model simple barges in GHS and I actually find it quicker than using Rhino in this case. In order to model in GHS you need to open section editor. SE.exe It will open an old school graphical interface. I've attached a screen shot taken from the GHS website. As you can see the left side of the screen shows the main navigation keys. Hitting tab a couple of times will switch to a isometric view. In order to model in section editor you enter points and the program draws a line between them. Naturally to accurately represent curvy hulls you need to enter hundreds of points. However to model barges you often only need to enter 3-6 points per section and you often only need 2-3 sections. Here is exactly what I would type to create a rectangular barge with the zero point at the bow and having the following dimensions: 20m length, 5m beam, 2m depth

start SE.exe

name hull\hull.c
    units m
    s
    fill
    write barge.gf

No you don't need Rhino or any other modeling software to use GHS. Yes, you can import autocad dxf files into GHS. Even if you have Rhino and are good at modeling I'd still recommend creating tanks and subdivisions in GHS using a run file to access Part Maker (PM.exe). It creates cleaner models that are easier to modify and with it setup as a separate run file from your model you can quickly test variations without changing your hull model. It also gives you a good base file for your later stability condition loading files.

This is the link to the GHS training book. It has lots of useful examples and good explanations in there about the software. Read it. Do the tutorials.
    http://www.ghsport.com/support/TrainingBook.pdf

I'd also highly recommend downloading Deadweight. It doesn't do much other than act as a pretty way to look at GHS models, but most people new to GHS find that super handy. The default interface is the ugliest software still in use I know of.
    http://www.deadweight.com/

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  9. CmbtntDzgnr

CmbtntDzgnr Senior Member

Thanks, DavidJ, for reigning me in. I lapsed in forgetting to consider that -- as you pointed out, and as I all-too-well relived again last night -- that import/export of files can be fraught with problems.

Also, thanks for mentioning the two URLs. Someone a few weeks ago asked me whether I knew of such a thing, and I did not. Maybe they can be useful to him.

Cheers!

10. conceptia

thank you david for the info. I think most people could learn the software from your note. Now, Im on part maker, trying to model the tanks.
    Thank you once again.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.