Boat Build/Digital Project - Feedback Wanted!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cliffoney, Mar 6, 2014.

1. cliffoney

cliffoney New Member

[UPDATE: I am going to turn off the survey's ability to receive responses, then pore over the results (which have been great so far), analyse and document them. Thanks to all those who participated in this, or took the time to post below!]

[EDIT: As of Saturday I have 21 respondents so far! Thanks to all who have participated so far with your valuable feedback. For those yet to do so, if you have a few spare minutes over the weekend, then I would really appreciate your insights!]

Hi Everyone,

Son of a fisherman/boatbuilder from Sligo, Ireland.

Plan to build a boat (18', clinker-built sailing boat) with my father this year and document it all as either an iPad app or interactive website.

The app/website will be the final deliverable for my masters degree in college.

Would like your feedback and suggestions in an online survey at the below link as to how it could be done, and what it should contain:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13x5fO8VoyC4TForcteTRJULXEY0QEpVyRPfrHXznQVo/viewform

Would really appreciate it if you could take the time to answer the few questions, and also give your opinion on how certain aspects should be handled.

Many Thanks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Welcome to the forum,

looks like a fun project, I look forward to seeing the end results. I took your survey.

what is your degree or area of study?

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

How things should be handled;

1) Your post has nothing to do with boat design so don't post it under boat design.

2) You say you need information for educational purposes -maybe it could be listed under education. State the degree, institution, professor, and your name for ID and verification.

3) You ask that a survey be filled out with personal info -You are suspect. Most of us give all the identifying info to this site. You give none.

Your survey could well be for no other purpose than gathering personal info. You could be a CIS or Psyc major but that seems unlikely based on your lac of protocol and professional conduct.
    You have been flagged.

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I didn't see any qustions about personal info

5. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I could be wrong and hope I am, but any moderator would flag an offsite survey first post. And any CIS or Phyc major should know better. Lesson #1

Looking forward to your project when verified.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Do not be paranoid. The survey given by this man is stupid, from my point of view, but I do not see her dark intentions.

7. cliffoney

cliffoney New Member

Hello Everyone,

Glad to see my post has engendered such lively discussion.

I want to make sure that boat-building skills are not lost from Ireland as they are becoming ever more rare. A good way to ensure this is to document an entire boat build process - I just wanted to get the input from you, the subject matter experts, as to how this should be best presented.

@Petros - the award I am going for is an MSc in Creative Digital Media. Thanks for asking!

@Skyak:

1) Yes, you are right, however this has everything to do with how a boat design (and build) should be documented, so your feedback would nevertheless be of value.

2) As stated, the degree is a master of science in creative digital media, in D.I.T. Aungier Street, Dublin. My name: Tim Macarthur. D12122572. Verify away.

3) As others have pointed out no personal information is requested.

@TANSL - I invite you to explain as to why the survey is stupid - by taking part in my simple survey and leaving some comments!

@ Everyone else (again, thanks Petros), I really don't have anything to gain here apart from the benefit of your experience and opinion.

I am asking for your input in good faith - I thank you for this.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Cliffoney, I have completed your survey, I know so and I think it is stupid. It's my opinion and it should be you who attempted to prove that it is not. I think it is useless and, therefore, I say it's stupid. Maybe some other word can better define Thou fool, goofy, unintelligent. I speak of the survey, not to you.
    No offense but you have asked me to explain. Not all technologies, no matter how new they are, can be applied to anything. Trying to create a database to access it with an ipad, ipod, tablet or whatever you call the artifact, and pretend that someone studied in this apparatus, it seems stupid. I repeat that this is my opinion and that, really, I would be delighted if you get me out of my mistake and show me the benefits, if any, has your project.
    By the way, I love wooden boats.
    Thank you.

9. cliffoney

cliffoney New Member

Thanks TANSL!

And again, thanks for reinforcing that you think my survey is stupid.

As a subject matter expert in this field, I can only take your opinion into real consideration.

@ Everyone else, if you could please answer my survey objectively, I would really appreciate it.

10. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

In what fashion will your app be interactive? If we can only watch you build, just get a Dropcam and build away. If you mean to only respond to questions, just post on a forum. Or do you mean to let the app users have input to the build? If so, look out!

Honestly, it sounds like you are just in love with the idea of an "app" even if there is no good application to your project.

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It's not as suspicious as e-mails from Nigerians but it sure feels like Google lurking around with sweaty hands. It's pages long but won't let you see the next page until you answer all the questions on the page you're on. I've no idea what the rest of the survey is about.

12. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Tim's survey doesn't ask for anything other than age and gender demographics. ( Don't know if the survey has been modified since Skyak and Samsam complained ) It's not personally identifiable. I'd rate it harmless. I'd too prefer to be able to skim the whole survey to see what it's about before beginning.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I fail to see what these questions have to do with building an 18' fishing (assumed) boat.

14. cliffoney

cliffoney New Member

Hi All,

@Westfield 11 - thanks for your feedback - the interactivity was to do with the website rather than the app - i.e. not just to have it as a 'static' web page in a browser. I gotta tell you, I am in no way in love with the idea of building an app, launching it on the store, etc. The build and launch is an awful process. A website, for me, would be much simpler to execute. The feedback to the survey will allow me to derive stats on people's preferences and help decide overall direction however. There are free text fields for general feedback too!

@SamSam - thanks for replying. The survey was put together using Google Drive - it is just one of a number of services out there to allow surveys be created. The nature of the initial questions is to help angle the final deliverable at the most 'interested' demographic, nothing more.

@Grey Ghost - I too would prefer the ability to skim - it is a constraint of the survey workflow as it is implemented however... please don't be deterred from giving your feedback however!

@PAR - you are right, it is more about how you guys, the subject matter experts, would like to see an app/website realised that enables you to view the design and build of an 18' sailing boat. Your feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

15. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

This.
    I mean what kind of option is "often" when asking about frequency.

How long is a string? Quite long...