what was name of tiny sailboat made 1999?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Leah123, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Leah123

Leah123 New Member

Hello,

Many years ago, on PBS McNeil Newshour, there was a story on a company that designed little sailboats.

The company was trying to give away the rights to the winner of their lottery, but later they were told by the IRS or someone, that they could not do that and thus, the contest was closed.

I wish to know of the make of this boat.. does anyone remember? The design was a hull that would not tip over; if memory serves, it was a canoe style sailboat that was VERY small.

I would really like to find a boat like this one, for myself and wonder if there were even enough produced that I may be able to find one, somewhere.

THANKS!

Diana

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Well narrowing down your search parameters might help considerably. PBS could be contacted and asked about the News Hour show. The length and model name would also prove helpful, but a search for a cute little, non-capsizable sailboat, might well be a shot in the dark.

3. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Scamp?

On the right track?

--
    CutOnce

4. Leah123

Leah123 New Member

hull looked like the 'weeble' toy..

Unfortunately, this is ALL that I can remember. I thought the design was great, remember; 'weebles wobble but they don't fall down'? I was an adult when they came out, but they were little toy people that were shaped like eggs..

Guess I will have to look around for another little sailboat that won't capsize. I cannot even remember the state this 1999 boat was built in. Usually, I have a better memory. This boat was around 13 feet long, I think..

Thanks for viewing:)

Diana

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Dianna; Please be advised that there is no such thing as a non capsizeable boat. Such a boat may exist in an unscrupulous or ignorant marketing department but that is the only place to find one. You may recall that the Titanic was heralded as an unsinkable ship.

There are small boats that are decidedly more stable than some other small boat to be sure. Stable is one thing and capsizable is quite another.

I do not wish to rain on your parade. I do wish to disabuse you of a false promise that could lead you into a very unpleasant situation.

6. Leah123

Leah123 New Member

thank you, actually, I am a teacher, and am in favor of being correct; the term came from another post, probably stable was the design, or maybe that was why they went out of business. I hear what you say, I have boated for years and wasn't really thinking about that.. of course, if it tips and fills with water, it is good-bye.

Thanks for the correction. I'm thinking if I don't get my new house, I'm going to sell everything and go back to the water, am pretty frustrated w/ the economy and looking for something roomy that I can sail alone!

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A boat can be non-sinkable and/or self righting which is some times refered to (incorrectly) as non-capsizable. I have a few small boat designs that will not sink, even if cut up into pieces with a chain saw. I also have small craft designs with impressive stability curves, that all but prevent the boat from remaining in a knocked down situation (boat knocked onto her beam ends and held there for a moment), before popping back up on her feet. As Messabout mentioned, anything can be hit by a huge gust and laid flat on her side. Wave action and/or skipper stupidity or mistakes can do this too, but a well designed boat will pop right back up and shake it off.

You should inquire at PBS and see what they can do for you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.