Raphael Censier-The Flying Legal A Class Cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

If you've had any reason to lose confidence in the youth today here is a reason to rebuild that confidence. This 19 year old has designed and built an A class Cat that flies on legal foils! That is a big deal.
    More here: http://www.catsailingnews.com/2013/03/raphael-censier-19-yrs-old-designer.html

From the catsailing article-click on the url above more more of the article:

Last Thursday I asked "Guess Who is Flying?" and published a great still of a legal A-Class airborne. The sailor Flying in that image is Raphael Censier, a French young kid, 19yrs old.
    Flying is no novelty now a days with the Americas Cup AC72s plus several hydroptere like project with huge foils outside any racing class I posted in the past.
    I think what people could relate more with this image was seeing a -racing- beachcat elevated in mid air, wondering "how about me?" All beyond the flighting concept being proven while racing...phrase that it seems I have to repeat to infinite loop...

But this is just a detail on Raphael's work. He is a prolific Carbon Master by now. And it is great to see how the A-Class encourage home builds, it was a key factor for him to chose over other classes.

Expect to see him in more great projects in the future, right now his present is brilliant.
    Raphael is a committed student aiming High. With kids like him, the future and progression of our craft assisted sport is guaranteed. Keep pushing the limits kid.
    More images, videos

Go to his site and use the translate box on the left-very interesting stuff!

http://raphael-censier.jimdo.com

click:

Attached Files:

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Ah, to be young!

Great links, including the YouTube one embedded.

Thanks Doug!

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

What a kid! He be famous one day.....

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Was just reading the interview and the picture in the first post showing the kid flying his A Cat uses no rudder foils! He is balancing the boat primarily on one foil. Wow.....

5. Submarine Tom

View the video embedded in the article.

Good footage likely from a GoPro.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

It appears to me that the leeward foil is bending significantly which makes the submerged portion horizontal and the resultant hydrodynamic force from the foil more vertical. A clever way to get around the restrictions on foil shape.

8. Submarine Tom

Interesting observation DC.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

10. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Rrrrhhhhahhhhh! Lovely video. True *********** for a multihull lover.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.