Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Well, I don't know, to me they look smart enough to earn an good ad revenue income from their mostly nonsense vlogs on YouTube, and are also able to travel from that to have enough material for their vlogs, but to be honest, they don't look smart enough to me to get the idea to eat the fish, or to know how to clean it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

....well to say the truth...that seems pretty smart to me....

3. Angélique

Agree, and the number of views has gone up a bit since posting here, so we also help them to earn an income.

4. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

5. Angélique

Must say that Jan. 2016 Gertrude had quite a bit of humor, she even blew a rabbit onto a roof in Northern Ireland . . .​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] - - - [​IMG]

‘‘ . . . . In Omagh, Northern Ireland, firefighters rescued the bunny, formerly known as Bumper, after it was unexpectedly dumped on top of the Omagh residential home where it lives.

It appears the pet's terrifying experience was due to the owner not battening down the hutches outside the property.

District Commander of Omagh Fire Station, David Doherty, said the rabbit had a lucky escape.

'The wind caught the hutch and sent it flying into the air and it has catapulted the rabbit out of the hutch and onto the roof,' he said.

'Now the hutch has come down and smashed, so it was probably lucky for the rabbit that it did come out.'. . . . ’’

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Hilarious is right! I was surprised it was not a flying fish but just a flying fish.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Some people say they don't fly, just jump out of the face of a wave, which is nonsense, they can travel a considerable distance through the air, somehow. Reputed to be very good eating, and would make a great trolling bait, but catching them might be difficult.

8. Angélique

The fish looks like a Cod to me. Here's a Flemish fishmonger holding a Cod on the fish market, by Joachim Beuckelaer in 1569, it's the painting Water from his Four Elements series. And what only little people know is that Antwerp has a view on the ancient Middle East, since through the gothic archway in the background you see Christ walking on the Sea of Galilee after his resurrection, and making many fish appear miraculously in the previously empty nets, and because of this far away view the fish market displays twelve kinds of fish, representing the twelve disciples of Jesus...

[​IMG]
    1,280 × 946 pixels - - (here in 3,000 × 2,218 pixels for a close up, or zoom in here)

P.S.

Just saw that Peter has left the boat and kneels on the water in front of Jesus, who because of the wind walks in front of a big wave, and then Jesus rescues Peter, and they both climb into the boat, according to this one of the two depicted biblical stories in the background of the painting, the other one to be seen in the same view is about the pulling on the nets in this story of a miraculous catch of 153 large fish.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. Mr Efficiency

You wouldn't bet your house on the journo getting hit in the face by the fish, wasn't staged.

10. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Interesting technique.

Based on some reading, such as here: The Packaging User’s Handbook https://books.google.com/books?id=nkBPWe-AA0YC&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=uncreped+kraft+paper&source=bl&ots=AVYRcNnn96&sig=wlKNqpo5VuyJJjeN5y6B_F8RXBs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0yf7YiP7WAhXJeCYKHdobCEQQ6AEIUzAF#v=onepage&q=uncreped%20kraft%20paper&f=false , it would seem that uncreped paper would be desirable, as this paper would have more of its fiber connections intact.

It also seems, more reading would be required, that "spinning craft paper" would be desirable too because of being characterized as having high fiber orientation.

Between these, at least, you might get the best strength out of the material and could lay up the paper to be glued in alternating fiber direction.

Now, actually getting rolls of uncreped spinning craft paper may not be as easy as finding suitable fiberglass weaves.

Speaking hypothetically, a sheet material made of long brush coir fiber (if you just gotta use a natural material in your FRP) would be much better substitution part of "F" in FRP boat building.

11. Angélique

After carefully studying the video split second by split second, I wouldn't bet my house the other way around either.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  12. Mr Efficiency

In the absence of the video continuing to show a fish flopping around on the ground, I have to vote FAKE.

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

14. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

I reckon it's for real. You can see the wave coming as it curls over the wall in the background. She's standing close to the side so it would have been difficult for someone off camera to be waiting with the fish while being beaten by the waves. An unlikely degree of planning too what with having get the fish in advance. Maybe the camera packed-up after the soaking?

Sometimes you'll find a few in the scuppers in the morning. They have a good taste but little meat and lots of bones.

15. Mr Efficiency

Well, I guess it would depend a little on the size of them. I'd be more inclined to use them for bait, though they probably are not as effective as the Saury, which was once said to be the first choice of long-liners.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.