Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Do they make dredges over there?

2. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

3. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Personally, I like the mud, it's full of bird life; the banks are a good challenge too at low tide with a deep keel.

Back to words; Here the mud or mud flats are called a 'slab' with a as in paw which I think is the origin of slob...someone who comes from the mud.

slob (n.)
    1780, "mud, muddy land," from Irish slab "mud, mire dirt," itself probably borrowed from English slab "muddy place" (c. 1600), from a Scandinavian source (compare Icelandic slabb "sludge"). The meaning "untidy person" is first recorded 1887, from earlier expressions such as slob of a man (1861).

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I'd seen your yard Nick, but I've picked the spot ± 215 m to the North because of the boats shown there, since I thought the boats 1 - 2 - 3 in the both below pictures could be the same, of which #1 looks like a trawler to me.

Did you move the boats ? Or am I mistaken here ? Which well could be since it's hard to compare the partly shown boats in the picture with the Google shot from the air.
    Left marker is the north side and is positioned at the location of my Google shot from above.
    _3d_aerial_.jpg
    Right marker is the south side and is positioned at the yard of Nick's work.

_boat_1_2_3_.jpg

_an_aerial_1_2_3_.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  5. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

You're a good detective!
    No, the yards are completely separate and of different character...you get the idea just from the google photos. One thing both have in common is wood boat builders with decades of experience, capable of any building and any repair. My friend Kevin has been photo documenting work in our yard for years.
    Kevin O'Farrell Photographer https://www.facebook.com/pg/KevinOFarrellPhotographer/photos/?tab=album&album_id=297722902071
    Both yards have quite a few old timber trawlers which have been put out to pasture so to speak. I would't say there was normally much sentimentality about breaking up old timber boats but if you've dedicated a life to building them there's maybe a reluctance to destroy examples of the ever dwindling numbers. Even though the yard owners sometimes complain, I've noticed some boats get the axe quickly whereas others linger on. I'm often also surprised by the depth of memory associated with working boats. The red trawler on the slip in my google photo was the 'Paul Stephen' (I'm fairly sure). It nearly sank. DONEGAL CREW RESCUED FROM SINKING TRAWLER http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/12/01/donegal-crew-rescued-from-sinking-trawler/ A pump was helicoptered out and the boat made it to the yard...the hold was half full so we had a fish bonanza. Anyhow, the hull was rotten, so rotten that in places you could push a welding rod through the two inch planking. Somehow the decision was taken to rebuild it which entailed replacing about a third of the frames and nearly all the underwater planking. As we were ripping planks we found small plywood packers behind some of the frames which had been badly sawn but it had been built by a cousin of a boatbuilder in the yard so after some calls and being told he had been found out (forty odd years later) we heard stories of her building.

6. Angélique

The little info I get about the red trawler from your google shot of the yard is that her outline and the white inward slope of her upper top sides matches the timber built trawler SO 746 Paul Stephen, but best compare for yourself . . .

[​IMG]

_Wooden_Irish_Trawler_SO_746_Paul_Stephen_pic1_.jpg

_Wooden_Irish_Trawler_SO_746_Paul_Stephen_pic2_.JPG

_Wooden_Irish_Trawler_SO_746_Paul_Stephen_pic3_.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

That's the one. Shortly after, it was renamed the Foyle fisher, it came back once or twice for maintenance but I haven't seen it in a while now.

8. Angélique

You and your colleagues at the yard are kinda the last of the Mohicans who do these kind of major efforts in wood not only for leisure craft but also for workboats, so keep up the good work please . . . :)

9. Angélique

[​IMG]

Scene from - ‘‘The Last of the Mohicans’’ - Cora Kneeling at the Feet of Tanemund* - by Thomas Cole in 1827 - (*real name is Tamenund)

‘‘ . . . . Uncas and Hawk-eye travel to the Delaware village where Cora is held, and where Magua demands the return of his prisoners. Tamenund, the sage of the Delawares, frees the prisoners, except for Cora, whom he awards to Magua. To satisfy laws of hospitality, Tamenund gives Magua a three-hour head start before pursuit. The Delawares vanquish the Hurons, but Magua escapes with Cora and two other Hurons; Uncas, Hawk-eye, and Heyward pursue them. In a fight at the edge of a cliff, Cora, Uncas, and Magua are killed. . . . . ’’

The Athenaeum displays 164 of Thomas Cole's paintings, of which three are scenes from ‘‘The Last of the Mohicans’’. № 1 shown above, and № 2 & 3 below :)

- - there seems to be a lot of recycling in the № 1 and № 2 paintings - -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

11. Angélique

Ç'est la vie . . :) - - - - - - - That's life.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

These might have been posted before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Imagine carrying that down the street, now days.

15. Angélique

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.