Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Wow Hoyt !

Whenever the CSA ordains a no wake zone plus offers a life buoy and also flies their Naval Jack (1863–65*) in the streets of a tidal place, then there are serious issues at hand, this means you better buy a used car from Arizona or California !

P.S. - * The aged flag shown in Hoyt's picture seems to be old enough to tell us we see there an original outpost . . :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. Angélique

A sand blast video posted* on these forums by Nick brought me on track of the Coriolis YouTube channel, where I saw this caterpillar question...​

So I thought, since this is the Random Picture thread, I'll answer it here . . .​

What is this caterpillar ?​

[​IMG]
    screenshot from the above video

It's a Goat Moth caterpillar.​

[​IMG]

Below pictured together with a € 2 coin of Ø 25.75 mm (1.014"), they ask to report any sightings in Ireland !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goat Moths

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Thanks Angelique
    Someone told me what it was here. It's basically a woodworm! It lives for three or four years from egg to full grown caterpillar boring its way through timber, then migrates out of the timber to pupate. We live close to a wet woodlands which is the environment they like best. I did file a sighting on the Moths of Ireland site.

5. hoytedow

Suimiúil.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  6. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Yes, I had no idea there were such large wood boring creatures in Ireland although in the boat yard we once repaired a fishing boat with live teredo worm which had left large holes in the planks...nobody thought they could live this far north.
    Unfortunately my Irish is limited but I'm learning a bit from my son who does it in school and most of the place names have meanings which are interesting to translate.

7. hoytedow

8. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Hibernia is a word I often reflect on in summer when we are lashed with wind and rain while the rest of europe has a heat wave....

9. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

And here I thought it was the application of perfume distilling to fermented grain to make the "water of life" AKA whiskey. Also the perfection of non-distilled fermented grain.

One of my favorite "Irish" words. ;)
    IMG_1411.jpg

10. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Happened to be on a boat once in Las Palmas at the start of the Arc rally...we weren't in it but we heard that Guinness had sponsored an event at an irish bar on the other side of town, first pint on the house so we thought we'd chance our arms. When we got there we were duly served the pints, drained the glasses and ordered some more which were also free. After the fourth or fifth we asked what's the story...'well lads, Guinness gave us two kegs and ye are the two to come'..

11. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

In 1994 I was at a convention in a hotel in Orlando, Florida. They were having some of the World Cup games in town and the Irish team was staying at the same hotel. After they lost to Brazil, all the team and fans had one last fling at the hotel bar and then flew home. I guess the hotel bar had many kegs of Guiness on hand in case they kept winning. So, after they were all gone, the bar was unloading it at a very discounted rate. I did my best to make up for the departed Irish but failed miserably.

12. Angélique

Humm, "land of winter" while I always thought there was autumn most of the time . . :eek:

13. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Late September

Attached Files:

14. Angélique

[​IMG]

_an_aerial_view_.jpg

. . . . think this is the spot . . . . ;)

15. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Well done, very good! But not exact, the photo is taken from there but 'our' yard is on the other side of the water (although I have done work here too).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.