Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

2. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Hmmmm...this sounds suspiciously like the conservative bleat to quit taking their money just to squander it on the public welfare.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” It seems we don't learn from our mistakes, we just shake them out and repeat.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

There's a thread dedicated on these forums to release the main sheet automatically when preset parameters are reached, many working systems are available today . . . :idea:

P.S. - From post #47 there, it's even standard on the LeBreton SIG45 (PDF), below quote is from page 21 of the linked PDF...

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. Angélique

The wheel rocket video is from a Bamboo rocket festival in Thailand, see post #6159 and downwards for some info, Tiny tried to estimate the height of the flight . . . :)

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Thanks Angelique, I didn't see the original post! :D

8. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Angelique,

I remember the anti-capsize release thread.
    What I want to know is why they didn't even manually release the main when they were about to trash their boat, and potentially kill people.
    Obviously it wasn't to stay in the race, cause in the time it took to recover they lost anyway.

9. Angélique

Maybe it was bad anticipation to Oscillating Wind Shifts . . . :confused:

America's Cup: Emirates Team New Zealand in capsize scare as Oracle Team USA claim victory
    What I get from ‘‘the wind was oscillating in both direction and strength’’ is ‘‘the wind was varying back and forth in both direction and strength’’

Sailing Breezes ---> How to Sail Fast Up the First Beat When You Have Oscillating Shifts
    Note the green part is what the winning Oracle boat did according to the first above article quote.

Here some other possible causes from the comments below the video:

10. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

Random picture - Black sails set

The filming of the next season of Black Sails has begun. I pass the set 'ships' on the way home everyday leaving Cape Town.

Attached a picture of the full ship, and the 'half ship' for the 'between the deck scenes'.

There are one or two more ships in the background but not very clear in the picture.

Don't watch the series myself, but nice to see the ships at sunset or sunrise, and fun to watch the filming with giant green scenes, fans to stimulate the sails and flags, and water spray.

Attached Files:

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Hmmm, I wonder if BATAAN is involved in the production of the sets? He is a master when it comes to reproducing those old ships for movies.

12. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

If I recall correctly, In 'Of Wolves and Men' Barry Lopez describes the practice of killing a buffalo and loading the carcass with strychnine to kill wolves; there was a significant bounty placed on wolves, redeemable in exchange for their pelts. This may have accounted for a significant proportion of buffalo. I'll see if I can find my copy and some detail.

13. Angélique

See page 180 and surrounding pages.​

14. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

Unbelievable story of the Endurance from captain Ernest Shackleton 1907-1908.

Endurance departed from South Georgia for the Weddell Sea on 5 December, heading for Vahsel Bay. As the ship moved southward, early ice was encountered, which slowed progress. Deep in the Weddell Sea, conditions gradually grew worse until, on 19 January 1915, Endurance became frozen fast in an ice floe.[85] On 24 February, realising that she would be trapped until the following spring, Shackleton ordered the abandonment of ship's routine and her conversion to a winter station.[86] She drifted slowly northward with the ice through the following months. When spring arrived in September, the breaking of the ice and its later movements put extreme pressures on the ship's hull.[87]

endurancecolor-5.jpg
    Shackleton after the loss of Endurance
    Until this point, Shackleton had hoped that the ship, when released from the ice, could work her way back towards Vahsel Bay. On 24 October, however, water began pouring in. After a few days, with the position at 69° 5' S, 51° 30' W, Shackleton gave the order to abandon ship, saying, "She's going down!"; and men, provisions and equipment were transferred to camps on the ice.[88] On 21 November 1915, the wreck finally slipped beneath the surface.[89]

For almost two months, Shackleton and his party camped on a large, flat floe, hoping that it would drift towards Paulet Island, approximately 250 miles (402 km) away, where it was known that stores were cached.[90] After failed attempts to march across the ice to this island, Shackleton decided to set up another more permanent camp (Patience Camp) on another floe, and trust to the drift of the ice to take them towards a safe landing.[91] By 17 March, their ice camp was within 60 miles (97 km) of Paulet Island[92] but, separated by impassable ice, they were unable to reach it. On 9 April, their ice floe broke into two, and Shackleton ordered the crew into the lifeboats, to head for the nearest land.[93] After five harrowing days at sea, the exhausted men landed their three lifeboats at Elephant Island, 346 miles (557 km) from where the Endurance sank.[94] This was the first time they had stood on solid ground for 497 days.[95] Shackleton's concern for his men was such that he gave his mittens to photographer Frank Hurley, who had lost his during the boat journey. Shackleton suffered frostbitten fingers as a result.[96]

Full story with historical pictures:
    http://mashable.com/2015/10/10/the-endurance/?utm_cid=mash-com-pin-link#rhH3Lzh5ukq5

15. Angélique

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.