Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ditto on Mr. Oatley, and hopefully most important of all, he was possessed of a personality that attracted many friends who will dearly miss him.

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Finding an unknown seamount ?? Looks like they did more than find it, more like they tried to remove it. The man on watch operating the forward looking sonar might have a few questions to answer. Matter of fact i predict all crew promotions would be on hold for some time to come. Gonna take mucho tax payers money to fix that hole.

P.S. This happened back in May 2005, sadly one sailor was killed, 23 non serious injured, repair cost somewhere around #1 billion.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

I did.. Impressive,

The submarine survived, I hope. Waterdoors that work. I like them.
    Did they had a lot of problem to get her up? Or did she do it on own force.

.... Are we looking at a total deathcase of all men aboard?
    I hope not.

Sincerely,

Schakel

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

This is not the first time such a thing has happened. But pictures were not released before.

5. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

It's all here...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_San_Francisco_(SSN-711)

...The collision was so serious that the vessel was almost lost—accounts detail a desperate struggle for positive buoyancy to surface after the forward ballast tanks were ruptured. Ninety-eight crewmen were injured, and Machinist's Mate Second Class Joseph Allen Ashley, 24, of Akron, Ohio, died on 9 January from head injuries.[4] Other injuries to the crew included broken bones, lacerations, and a back injury. San Francisco’s forward ballast tanks and her sonar dome were severely damaged, but her inner hull was not breached, and there was no damage to her nuclear reactor. She surfaced and, accompanied by the USCGC Galveston Island (WPB-1349), USNS GYSGT Fred W. Stockham (T-AK-3017), and USNS Kiska (T-AE-35), as well as MH-60S Knighthawks and P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft, arrived in Guam on 10 January...

6. schakel

Quite a story,

The cost of her bow replacement has been estimated at $79 million,

Six crew members were also found guilty at their own non-judicial punishment hearings ("Captain's Mast") of hazarding a vessel and dereliction of duty, and they were reduced in rank and given punitive letters of reprimand.

She surfaced on own force.

Glad I didn't join the navy.

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Americans should be Glad they did.

Many times there is a NEED to punish someone when something un-forseen happens.

Can you really imagine punishing the Captain when he used the maps provided?
    There probably 100 different pieces of information that "could" have been used to change the maps, and if something different happened or he didn't get some orders done by being too cautious, then he could have been punished for that.

It would be interesting to know what the crew members were punished for - since they were required to follow orders.

$79 million is really a drop in the bucket for such a boat.

IMHO

8. schakel

Exactly my opinion. I am not fond of the militaries, Although I was one myself. And no, 79 million is quitte a bucket of money in my honest opinion. But since they spend tax-money, "They" think they can afford everything.
    Did you know the US army is the biggest, and largest, and most expensive army the world has ever seen?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/USS_Nimitz_in_Victoria_Canada_036.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I don't like hypodermic syringes, but when the neighbor's rabid dog gets loose to bite you, you'll be glad there are some around. Heil, Freedom!

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Each one of those fighters costs around the repair for the sub. Then there is the lifelong maintenence and fuel, not to speak of the personnel.

Of course the army is the most expensive. It can't be any other way.

Personally I wish it was different (could be different) even though my living is made off the whole industry.

I also believe Hoytedow is right.

Sorry to get on a political discussion, I'll get back to boats.

11. W9GFO

W9GFO Senior Member

More probably. I was in a Navy squadron over 20 years ago. Our modified S3 Vikings were 80 million each.

...or maybe not. I guess an F-18 is only 60 million or so. I do remember seeing the receipt for a new fiberglass nose cone, something that I could have made for a couple thousand. We paid over $60K for that thing.

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

So called patriotic big business have been doing that to it's countries military for hundreds of years. Overcharged/rancid quality/ shortchanged salt meat and bread (food for the troops especially the Navy) played a big role in the loss of efficient operations of the British Military. In turn this helped trigger the decline and bankruptcy of the British Empire which of course aided in the growth of the U.S. as a world power. Hopefully while "in the same church but a different pew" history does not repeat itself too soon and when so, the ball is passed on in a more peaceful less military world. Less military, less national dept, more money available for social needs, but most of all much less tax burden on the average Jo citizen. " Oh what a wonderful world it would be " and Fats would have a #1 again. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  13. hoytedow

Try hitting the enter(return) key once in a while to shorten the lines.

"People sleep peaceably
    in their beds at night only
    because rough men stand
    ready to do violence on their
    behalf." said George Orwell.

14. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

The problem being that Schakel's humongous aircraft carrier pic has increased the column width, but the column width in the posting box doesn't reflect this, so you have to guess!
    (my browser seems to fit about 30 words per line)

15. hoytedow

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.