Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Nederland

[​IMG]

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

This came up in this conversation*, a piece of WW II history, SS Jeremiah O'Brien, one of the only two preserved Liberty Ships, the other one is SS John W. Brown . . . :cool:

* (consisting of 5 off topic posts now, so please don't respond there on it to prevent further distraction of that thread . . . :eek: )

I'm not sure a close up of the "polynesian fantasy" paintings on the bow gun armor fits protocol here, so those interested best look at the gallery of SS Jeremiah O'Brien's Wikipedia page . . . . ;)

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

6. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

I actually had something like that happen once. Although it had nothing to do with cooking. I was using a old pressure cooker as a chamber to cure polyurethane resin castings. This compressed all the bubbles in the casting to almost nothing. Only problem is pressure cookers are designed for about 15 psi while I was going way beyond that. The flange tabs on the pot bent up and released the lid with an explosive bang. The lid went right through the ceiling of the garage into its attic.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I've never wanted to be around a pressure cooker once I heard they can explode.

I never thought about water heaters until I saw one over pressurize on Mythbusters.

It goes off at about 1:40 in the video...

The entire first floor of this house was obliterated by a failed water heater

[​IMG]

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23271741

8. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

The Prestige pressure cookers are certainly designed to work at around 1 bar, but the maintenence instructions also say check the pressure relief valve periodically! Nice pic demonstrating what happens when you don't!.

In fact they are regular replacements, as the rubber get hard and scale builds up against the plunger. Probably the biggest (in terms of numbers) cavity tool I've ever come across - 80 impression. Makes the 16 cavity promotional dinosaurs for cornflake give aways seem very small.....;) and as the material had a blowing agent that could have blown the tool too.....

9. Angélique

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I don't understand what you're saying here...

11. Angélique

Same search results for me, I'm still wondering what it is though, anybody has a guess . . . :confused:

12. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

The mould tool makes 80 units in one go, ie 80 rubber pressure valves (minus the plunger of course) not one at a time. Multi cavity tools are pretty common but not usually at this number of impressions (mould shapes). You can sometimes see the number of the tool in part of the marking near the date stamp etc if a part is from a multi cavity. This is for Q/A in case one mould goes out of tolerance. I've designed a few parts that were 2 or 4 impression.

The later comment is about thick Polythene mouldings which can be restricted from shrinking by adding a foaming agent. However if you get the percentage added a little too high it can explode in the tool and wreck it....

13. Sailor Alan

Sailor Alan Senior Member

Sam Sam, Angleque, et-al. This is a classic slow speed marine Diesel engine. It was designed as a 4 cylinder, and 5 cylinder engine, possibley as modular units. To get the requisite power, a 4 and 5 cylinder unit were joined using a flexible crankshaft coupling. As these engines were custom built from standard drawings, hence the modular build, and the spacer between the two sections of engine. Some engines took power from this 'joint' but I doubt it in this case. The 4 cylinder and 5 cylinder crankshafts could be balanced for vibration, but a 9 cylinder could not. The large diameter tube is the induction (inlet) for the end 4 cylinders, the matching one for the other cylinders is missing. The position of the induction tube on the cylinders suggests a two stroke, which uses a blower or compressor to push the air charge into the cylinder. The exhaust will be on the other side, and may wel be completely rusted away. The exhaust is subject to high heat, and therefor rusts quickly. The induction remains relitivly cool, and therefor less likely to rust. I'm not sure but these engines ran around 50-80RPM.

Where the rest of the boat is, who knows. But if it was wooden this is not surprising, though this is rather large for a wooden boat.

14. khaos

khaos Infusion Padawan

Thanks Sailor Alan! #mysterysolved

15. Angélique

Hi Alan,

Thanks alot for the info . . . :)

All I could get out of it was it's a big 9 cylinder engine wreck with a spacer and a big tube.

Your post brought me to this search ‘‘low speed marine diesel’’ perhaps this provides further clues for aficionados to solve the mystery . . . :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.