Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

[​IMG]

Geez, that's a little harsh.

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

yeah, I don't chew gum.

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Yeah it must be hard to shoot straight when your chewing.

Poida

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Not at all.
    You are suppose to take a breath, let it out, wait to breath, stop chewing momentarily, then fire, breath, chew, check the target. Repeat as necessary :p or just hold down the trigger with a full auto!
    Simple if you have been trained or with a little common sense :D

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Sounds like you were in the Marines. I was taught to chew the gum thoroughly and throw it on the ground in front of the target. Then shoot while he's trying to get it off his shoe. Although I thought some of our procedures could have used a more direct approach at times . . .

[​IMG]

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I was in the Navy and they taught us nothing!
    Hats off to the Marines in this case.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well here at the present time gum is frozen to dam hard to chew :p

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  8. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

After the Outboard and Inboard we finally got the Overboard Motor - - - (translation)

‘‘ Honey, please throw the motor overboard . . . . ’’

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steering is done by the red and the black power cord in pic 1, as a horse and wagon . . :idea:

The shark fin's function is only to deceive the public . . . :D :D

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

10. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

11. ancient kayaker

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

13. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

The scow... er... bow is hideous but the stern and aft quarters are beautiful.

In the 60's and 70's GMC produced a sixty degree V-6 engine that had a delightful burble at idle and would blow smoke rings out the exhaust. It would be my choice of engine for this car.

14. ancient kayaker

So have a lot of pyramids but I'm not about to climb one at my age!

It does have actual separate-from-the-body bumpers though; years ago they developed integrated bumpers but they didn't leave it at that, these days bumpers are a thing of the past - but you can still see where they've been on most cars. It's got whitewalls too! Those were the days, sigh.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I disagree in "those where the days". We forget or take for granted what we have now. Those where the days, for all steel dashboards to bounce your head off of, in an accident. No air bags, no crush zones, only a vague resemblance of brakes, non-syncromesh gears, no cruise control, no A/C, no power brakes, no anti locks, no traction control, no heated and A/C seating, no radar activated stopping systems, no stereo and the list is endless. Lets not forget they had to change the plugs, points and condenser, every 10K miles, tires were good for maybe 20K if you got lucky, though you had flats with regularity, the valves needed to be lapped at 30K and the engine was using a quart of oil a month by the time it had 80K miles on it. Any thing over 100K was considered great.

Maybe those where the days for some styling, but frankly, we've got so much more now. We have cars that literally can run without touching anything under the hood for 100K. I've seen cars with the factory installed air cleaner, oil filter, oil, plugs, wires, cap rotor (if it still has one), etc. and the car's running, not burning oil and it starts, reliably, especially in cold weather, which was always an issue with carburetor cars. We have nav systems that can solve most issues, self protection systems to keep from bashing into things, self parking systems for the parallel maneuver challenged among us and the list goes on.

Aesthetic considerations aside, I'll take modern ride anytime. Anyone that wants a boat tail speedster, should just take one for a test drive, right after driving a C class on the same test course. It's unlikely you'll give up the modern "contrivances", just to have a period piece. Hell, have a C class stripped of it's body and put a 'glass Cord body on it. You'll have brakes, A/C and all the rest, with the aesthetic annotations you desire and probably a lot cheaper than a full up, restored Cord too. Hell, give me my cake so I can eat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.