Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Compared to an ‘‘Automatic’’ or to an ‘‘Manumatic’’ in the automatic mode ?

The application of the latter for use as an automatic system is increasing, at least in cars from Europe and Asia.

Cheers,
    Angel

P.S.

Saw here at the trade names some USA car manufacturers use the ‘‘manumatic’’ shift system as well.

I know from many owners of an ‘‘manumatic’’ shift system that they almost always drive in fully automatic mode.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

It cost an extra $25 to take driver's Ed with a manual... I insisted on learning it. I won't get a delivery car without a manual trans. However, I prefer an automatic if I have to tow anything, especially over a long distance. The EPA usually rates manuals above autos or manumatics still.

3. Angélique

Nomen est omen . . . ;)

But... the fog has lifted, so here she is again, I've attached the pics so she'll stay put here . . . .
    ‘‘Sea Cloud underway, Pre World War II, date and location unknown.’’

_Sea_Cloud_1_.jpg
    click pic to enlarge
    More info here . . . .
    ‘‘4-masted barque Sea Cloud. September 10th, 2007 in front of Porquerolles harbour, France.’’

_Sea_Cloud_2_.jpg
    click pic to enlarge
    Cheers,
    Angel

P.S.

BTW, you posted her well Daniel, but the source site disappeared temporally from the web I guess, so she got lost in the fog.

4. Angélique

There's quite a foghorn on Flat Holm . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

‘‘ The siren was originally powered by a 15 hp (11 kW) engine, which gave two blasts in quick succession at two-minute intervals that could be clearly heard by people living on both coasts ’’

Cheers,
    Angel

5. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

The sea birds seem to be quite fond of the fog horn.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

No 541t.

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I had two stickshifts, both needed repair, one lost synchro in early life which I didn't bother to repair. I have had at least nine automatics, only one ever needed repair or any attention at all - due to a design error not a failure. I once had a small accident in a rented car, clipped a kerb and lost a tire, it had a manual shift and I could get it to downshift approaching a turn: what I call a "not-enough-hands" situation. An auto costs more and uses more gas, but it's safer as I can keep my mind on driving and my hands on the wheel. A manual remains a good choice with an engine with a very wide power curve, like a diesel, but I'm not sure I would want to bother these days with 6 or more gears.

My present vehicle is a manumatic. What a totally pointless thing in a minivan, did the designer think it was a sports car or something? Also it's a blasted nuisance! It's very easy to accidently slip into manual when starting off and then the engine screams in protest as it reaches for the redline. Unfortunately there is no provision for locking it out . . . so it's just another job I have to do making sure it's really in auto before I start off. The whole point of a modern auto is to remove tasks from the driver. I look forward to the day when my auto does it's entire job so I can relax and read.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

hoytedow,

Some of the new drive trains do better with automatics, I think the electronics are tightly interconnected ....

sad .... I cannot imagine not being 'able to shift.'

Like not being able to sleep - wait, I understand that now ....

or flight - :)

or basic boating skills - :)

or .... better not go further.

:D

9. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

I learned to drive with a manual three on the column. My next car had four on the floor. Then the next three cars had 5 speed floor shifters. Since then they have all been automatic. I still miss manual driving instead of piloting these land barges. <sigh>

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm thinking it might be hard to sleep when it's foggy.

11. Angélique

That will be a brand bound control problem I guess. My mother has a Peugeot 107 2Tronic, which is a 5 speed manumatic, there the stick goes directly from Neutral to Economy which is the fully automatic mode, to get in Manual mode requires here the extra action which is moving the stick to the left, then tapping to + is shifting up and tapping to - is shifting down, but in manual mode shifting can also be opperated by shift paddles directly behind the wheel, the clutch is always automatically and therefore there's no clutch pedal.

Here a look at the shifting pattern of a Peugeot 107 2Tronic left hand drive car - right hand moves the stick - view from the right.
    _Peugeot_107_2Tronic_shifting_pattern_.jpg
    click pic to enlarge
    Which brand do you have ?

Cheers,
    Angel

12. Angélique

After a few fogs they were deaf and it didn't bother them anymore I guess, volunteers even restored the horn, but they might be from mainland . . . :eek:

Cheers,
    Angel

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

That is a fearsome looking shift! I'll take the next one thank you!

The car I had trouble with was also a Peugeot I believe, oddball shift. My current car, you guessed it, is an American car made by their Korean subsidiary. I'm quite impressed with it actually, lots of attention to detail, a 7 seater in a 5 seater footprint, makes a fine dogmobile (important for me) and this is the first car I've ever had with wipers that do not make weird noises in light rain. It has the "grandma with the map" thingy that tells me how to navigate too. I suspect Koreans are far too sensible to put manual override on an automatic so no doubt the Americans told them "this is what our customers expect" - - they were right too, I do expect something stupid on an American auto . . .

Can't I just have a stop/go/backup switch?

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

15. Angélique

Hoyt, what do you mean here ? - - - - - :confused:

Cheers,
    Angel

P.S.

Hoyt explained it to me by PM, thanks [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.