Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

At least if he keeps it up he won't reproduce any more

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

That old cutter had quite a history. From Wikipedia -

"Although sold for scrap 3 January 1947, Northland was renamed Jewish State, and transported Jewish refugees to Palestine. In 1948 she was renamed Eilat and became the flagship of the infant Israeli Navy. Later, the ship she became a training ship. In 1955, the ship was renamed Matzpen, serving as a barracks or depot hulk. The ship was scrapped in 1961."

Here's a slightly newer vessel of the same name -

[​IMG]

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi all, I've looked her up, she sure was a nice boat !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘‘ HMS Aisha, a yacht requisitioned to become part of "Dad's Navy" in the Second World War. It hit a mine north of the Isle of Sheppey in October 1940. ’’

[​IMG]

‘‘ HMS Aisha: Originally purchased as a pleasure cruiser, it was crewed by civilians during the Second World War as part of the 'Dad's Navy' Home Guard ’’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘‘ The Aisha was purchased as a pleasure cruiser and lovingly renovated by one RH Turner.

She was, however, requisitioned shortly afterwards by the Navy and sprayed gunmetal grey inside and out, much to the dismay of Turner's wife.

As the Second World War broke out, the Aisha was crewed by civilians and retired seamen as part of the "Dad's Navy" Home Guard and helped to guard the Thames.

She was part of the armada of 'Little Ships' that evacuated Allied troops from Dunkirk in June 1... but was blown up later that year by a mine north of the Isle of Sheppey.

Following on from a geophysical survey earlier this year, there will be a full dive on the wreck to attempt to retrieve small objects before archaeologists decide whether to lift her fully or partially excavate her. ’’

[​IMG]

‘‘ 'Dad's Navy': HMS Aisha ’’

See this PDF page 13 (which is page 17/22 on the PDF) for a painting and a model.

‘‘ The Aisha started life as a pleasure craft; a steel motor yacht built in Selby in 1934 and originally called the Wilna. She was sold in 1939 to Robert H. Turner of Guildford in Surrey and in 1940 she was hired by the Admiralty. The Wilna was armed and refitted as a Harbour Defence Patrol Craft and renamed as HMS Aisha.

As a Harbour Defence Patrol Craft, HMS Aisha patrolled the Thames Estuary and was one of the ‘little ships’ that crossed the Channel to assist in the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940. However, her life as a patrol craft was short-lived and she sank in October 1940 after striking a mine, sharing the fate of many other wartime vessels in the Thames. ’’

Tip: Google Images ‘‘ Little ships of Dunkirk ’’

Cheers,
    Angel

1 person likes this.
  4. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

Attached Files:

5. ancient kayaker

- all part of the secret weapons establishment of Britain in the case of invasion. Fortunately it wasn't needed - neither was the "killer joke" field tested during WW1 and immortalized by Monty Python, which remains buried in a forgotten vault in Portsdown according to rumour.

6. ancient kayaker

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson went camping with a tent under the stars. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes shook Watson awake and said:

"Watson, look up at the sky, and tell me what you see."

"I see millions apon millions of stars."

" - and what do you deduce from that?"

Watson replied: "Well, it's unlikely to rain, but knowing you, Holmes, with your passion for logical enquiry and deduction, you want a fuller, more scientifc reply. Hmm . . let me see . . ."

Watson thought for a while and said -

"If there are millions of stars, surely some of them would have planets. In fact it’s quite likely there are some planets like Earth out there. Some might even might have life, and perhaps even intelligent life. They would probably have been around for far longer than our own species, which apparently is rather young according to that Darwin fella. I wonder why they haven't got in touch with us. Surely after all that time they would be far more advanced than we are. What do you believe, my old friend?"

"Watson I believe that somebody stole our tent."

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I'm dying!

8. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Aren't we all. Sometime.

9. Yobarnacle

I thought the Holmes Watson joke was the "kller" joke.

It WAS funny and pithy. :)

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I heard that joke originally with the characters being the 'Lone Ranger' and his faithful indian companion 'Tonto' out under the great western skies.

In another episode the pair find themselves surrounded by thousands of indians. The Lone Ranger ask his faithful companion, 'what do we do now', to which Tonto replies, 'what do you mean we white man'.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

This might finish you off. ¡Cuidado!

Tonto and The Lone Ranger were camping in the desert. Tthe Lone Ranger had to relieve himself so he goes into some brush, drops trou and proceeds with the appointed task. Right at that time a rattlesnake slithers up and bites him right on the p***s. He is in terrible pain and sends Tonto for a doctor.
    After an hour Tonto locates a doctor who is busy with attending to a childbirth. After explaining the situation to the doctor, the doctor tells Tonto he can’t leave the mother and baby but instructs Tonto how to make cuts on the bite and suck out the poison.

Tonto mounts his horse and rides back with haste. Arriving back at camp, Tonto finds the Lone Ranger in great pain The LR asks Tonto if he found the doctor. Tonto says he found him but he was delivering a baby and could not come.
    LR asked Tonto if the doctor said anything else.

“You gonna die, QuimoSabe..."

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

LMAO :D :D

13. Yobarnacle

Yes well!

Tonto in spanish means silly person and quien sabe means "who knows?"
    equivalent to anonymous.
    :)

14. ancient kayaker

I believe Tonto used to say "kemo sabe" or "Kemo knows"

Given that it's four letters in Spanish, I could probably translate "Kemo" for you, but the forum has rules . . .

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

What Moe knows. Que Moe sabe. What do Larry and Curly know?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.