Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Sunny days indeed.
    Dune lift on the Outer Banks:

1886.JPG

1 person likes this.
  2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Seven Of The World’s Most Interesting Installation Art
    http://all-that-is-interesting.com/most-interesting-installation-art

Oops, no hot linking, click link above.

...............and this is just sad.
    2011 Prototype Custom
    Item number: 150764924765
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1#ht_500wt_1182

Another Wolf Bagged in Salmon, Idaho - International Hunting Consultants
    [​IMG]
    Megafishes Photos, Megafish Wallpapers, Download, Photos -- National Geographic
    [​IMG]
    the oops list
    [​IMG]

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Killing a collard wolf

she's the one that shoulda been shot.

I used to guide up in Yellowstone, having read the article about the excuse they used for killing the wolf, I can attest from personal experience that wolves just don't really pay much attention to people. Sure if you shoot at them they learn to stay out of site. But the ones that migrate out of Yellowstone are pretty habituated to people and I've had them walk right past me. Funny how in the park wolves have never ever been reported to threaten anyone yet these clowns claim to have been "treed" by a whole pack, for the night. I'm sure what happened was they left there food out ( genius move ) and woke up to the pack having a snack, wolves make some pretty spooky noises when they are eating. I can just picture a bunch of fools all jammed into one truck now.

Ridiculous.

That wolf having a collar on it meant its someones research project. Probably years of work went into studying that pack. All up in smoke because one ignorant person got trigger happy.

She should be in jail.

1 person likes this.
  5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I know nothing of the topic, just did a Google image search for "salmon" and this wolf picture showed up because of the article title.

I do have to question the take on the story as taken from a hunting site. Maybe Fish & Game is of a different opinion. Is there anyway we can find out?

I guess one of us could e-mail or call them if really interested.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/offices/
    [​IMG]

Skoota Power Cats .........by Woods designs
    http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Terrorizing campers? I doubt it. These city slickers go where they don't know how to act around the wildlife. If the wildlife is that scary to them they should have stayed the hell in town.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I like that folding cat.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

if those wolves were actually "terrorizing" campers it would be the first ever such incident that I've ever heard of. Something tells me its not an accurate report. Wolves just don't ever get aggressive with people. I have met and sat making observations of the slough creek pack with the people that live out there with them. Its quite the experience. Several times the wolves have walked right through the tourists and us. Never a single incident in all the years they've been back. Its unconscionable that someone be allowed to just shoot anything walking through there back yard without a permit or out of season.

The fact that the wolf had a collar on it tells me they could have tracked it anytime they wanted. In the Park the researchers carry hand held units and regularly walk right up on them. Its not like having a radio attached to your neck makes it hard to find you.

Its possible the wolves had learned to eat trash, which brings them into close quarters with people. They do make some pretty scary noises as they vie for dominance while feeding.

I'll write them an E Mail and find out whats up.
    ( I called, spoke to there duty officer a guy named Tom, nice guy, never heard anything about it and he mentioned it would be all over the news if it was for real, he's looking into the veracity of the claims and particularly that his dep was cited as being after any wolf )

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok I just called district 7 of the idaho fish and game dep, Salmon area and spoke to a Tom Kegan. The number is (208) 756-2271 if anyone else wants to contact him. He didn't seemed thrilled that his dep was mentioned in that article. He said he'd never heard of any problem wolves recently being sought in his district or any other district in Idaho. They did have one shot a while ago as it was chasing a deer through a ranchers property. He called that one questionable. He also mentioned he'd not heard anything about this case at all and he'd be aware if it was a true story.

Very nice and informative and he was quite interested in his agency having been mentioned in that article.

I call bull **** on the article and I've got all the sympathy in the world for the fish and wildlife people. I've hung out with enough of them, they don't need another public relations issue like what this kinda thing can cause.

He thanked me for the info and said he'd definitely pass it up the ladder as there was no wolf being sought for human safety concerns and there was no wolf shot legally as far as he's concerned.

While I'm a strong advocate for the return of the wolves I'm also a strong advocate for truth in reporting the interactions that do occasionally occur.

My bet is these wolves
    didn't attack campers
    didn't tree anyone in there car
    weren't being sought by the fish and game people
    probably were not shot legally.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

about the only thing that concerns me is there is no date on that picture. Tom mentioned also that the picture would indicate to him a very sparsely populated area probably not close to Salmon. The whole thing smacks of BS and it pisses me off no end people slandering the wolves like that. Shooting a collard animal sends me over the top though, and I'll most certainly be keeping track of Toms progress. Get em Tom, they slandered your department and they slandered the wolves.

Sitting by the campfire down by Slough Creek and Listening to the wolves howl. Stars overhead, and the smell of the campfire in the air. Its like nothing else on earth.

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I'll track it down so you can tell Tom.

Cheers,
    Angel

12. Angélique

Woman's name seems to be Heidi Leavitt.

Google images "Heidi Leavitt hunt wolf" and see what shows up.

Cheers,
    Angel

13. Angélique

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Thanks Angel

I'll send it along
    My experience with these things is don't pester them, let them do there own investigating. I'll probably wait to call till say tomorrow or Monday.

My conversation with Tom would indicate that he had not heard of any problem wolves being tracked or wanted in the state. And he was the main guy at the district office. As I've mentioned I have a lot of respect for the division of wildlife people and last thing I want to do is make there jobs harder by muddying there investigation. The mention of a collar and that it was shot just outside her house though indicate to me an illegal kill. Also the BS about the pack having harassed people in the area.

I'll most certainly be posting on this soon as I know anything more about whats up. My experience with the wildlife people is they don't want to be associated with either side and certainly don't want there dep associated with false claims.

The article claims she had a tag but given the wild claims in the rest of the article I'd have to wonder. In any case if she did have a tag, and wolf hunting is legal in Idaho by the way, then she will likely get away with it. Depends on how far from the road she was and a few other things. I still can't imagine anyone so lame as to shoot a collard wolf. That whole page is a travesty of BS

15. Angélique

Cheers,
    Angel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.