Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

what...mine...? Took it to Lake Pepin and Rend lake this year(and last year but it didn't have any paint). Went swimming at Pepin... don't know what hit me...probably combo of gust and wake wave (barges and motorboat galore) but I was over in a blink. Now it is getting a refit with a rear deck/sealed compartment. It floats well up front as it is one huge chamber forward of the mast partner (square hole in the deck) but there is no flotation aft and it sits right at water level when full of water. You can't bail it out before water comes back over the top/back/sides. I need to reduce the amount of cockpit that can fill up so it floats higher and I can re-enter and bail it out. To bail it I had to shove my extra flotation cushions under the bottom and I got help from another boater who sat on the bow. With a couple hundred pounds less water I expect it to be a lot easier to get going again. I am also shortening and lightening the spars.

Here are the pics from the messabout at Pepin and you can see the Rend lake ones in Michalak's newsletter.

http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=11pepinmessabout&s=int

http://www.jimsboats.com/15jun11.htm

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

- fooled me too until I noticed the wings. Hadn't seen those on a garvey before. Looks fast but strictly for flatwater . . . ? I wonder if the cockpit could be made self-bailing?

4. lewisboats

Very fast and she'll take 2-3 ft waves if you nail them off the bow quarter but not much more and you want to be quick about tacking. I was out in a squall last year which flipped more than one larger boat...planing to beat the band. Had a great time...the lee wing was buried 3-4" in the water most of the time and I didn't dump it once. Like I said...fluke combo that caught me totally by surprise and I was over before I knew it.

As far as the combing...it isn't really comfortable to sit on now let alone with a relatively narrow edge of wood under my thighs. I think the rear deck will do wonders at being able to right it after dumping. This is the second time I have done it and the first time I ended up being towed in because the front compartment wasn't as sealed as I thought it was. This time I was able to get back in and sail for another hour or so trying to beat directly into the wind to get back to the messabout beach...didn't make it so I landed about 200 yards down wind and walked back. I was able to make it back when the wind shifted a bit. My biggest problem was I didn't want to go too far out into the lake with the winds and waves as they were and everybody else gone in. I couldn't port tack long enough to make headway when I went to a starboard tack back towards the beach. After an hour I had only gained about 100 yards and gave up.

I know I want a bit more rudder area in the water...so that will be another addition for next year.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

g-whillickers!!

7. ancient kayaker

Use your tongue just once and see what you get . . .

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...friends till the end...this is the end

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I've been thinking about the opening on Lewisboats sailboat.

Something to prevent surface water from washing in, yet would compress under your fanny.

http://www.pitpal.com/products/1_8_Trim_Side_Bulb_Flexible_Trim_w_Seal_sold_by_the_foot-723-0.html
    [​IMG]

I was thinking it would be a couple of inches tall, but this is all I could find on short notice.

http://www.athenapub.com/crater1.htm
    [​IMG]

http://www.squidoo.com/Chicxulub-Crater
    [​IMG]
    Artwork of the Chicxulub asteroid impact
    http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/168537/enlarge
    [​IMG]

10. lewisboats

This is a better view of the cockpit area. I am installing a bulkhead to the aft most floor stiffener and running a ply deck from there to the transom. That will enclose almost 3 cubic feet of air and reduce the amount that the cockpit holds. It will also shift the CG of that water weight further forward which will help to balance the boat until it is bailed. I can then mount a cleat or two on the deck to help me pull myself in over the transom.

[​IMG]

I could seal the forward part of the cockpit under the aft part of the deck but the mast goes down through an open hole into the step...pretty hard to get that sealed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. ancient kayaker

"The Chicxulub Crater near the Yucatan Peninsula is believed to have ended the age of dinosaurs some 65 million years ago. Many theories say the impact may not be the only reason the dinosaur age ended, but it sure didn't help"

- a few of us are still here . . .

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dinosaurs never left, they are still here, but now they are called birds.

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You could put a flexible rubberized elasticized boot around the mast like a kayak skirt.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

On the other hand, start again and build from the lessons learnt... ? or is it prophetic with the symbolism sinking...

15. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.