Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Navy boats are getting uglier by the moment

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I thought the old boys always did things better than us and never made mistakes? :?:

Attached Files:

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

The end

One of the member posted this picture.
    I find it fascinating. The design of the superstructure should be copied and put on a nice hull.
    Beautifull details like the smoke stack door, the skylight, the curve of the side.
    And even in that state of decomposition, I find some grace and perfection.
    Daniel

[​IMG]

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

So why did the accommodation fall off the ship?!

I'll get my coat... !

8. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

This is an example how an accommodation could fall off . . . . . . . . . . . :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47L3kWCsx0

Me too . . . . ! !

Cheers!
    Angel

PS - Your right Daniel..!! - It's a nice superstructure in your post . . . . :!:

9. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Makes you wonder why they bother to put in lift bridges if boats can do that sort of thing. Why can't road traffic do the same? No need for bridges in the first case.

11. Angélique

I wonder if she managed to catch and hook up with the barges after that . . . . . :eek:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one tried to get over the bridge . . . . :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVsng6n2hzk

't should not be crazier . . . . ! !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's gonna answer this question for real . . . . ? ?

Cheers!
    Angel

12. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

It looked like she was giving it the goold old college try! With the river running at that rate, why bother with the tug?

It's a funny thing, I've seen lots of real-life power boat races that finished safely (a relative term I know) but I've never seen one on TV that did not involve a crash. That one was almost artistic. Perhaps we can start a new sport "Aerobatic Hydroplanning" where points would be given for artistic interpretation, height reached, distance jumped and simple survival.

13. Angélique

The tug should slow the barges down to avoid they end up in Mexico....!!

This is how it ended.........

Tombigbee River Cahaba Incident . . . . .

‘‘ On April 28, 1979, a tugboat named M/V Cahaba was on the Tombigbee near Demopolis, Alabama. The tugboat was attempting to guide 2 coal barges under a flooded side-span of the old Rooster Bridge (removed years later), but the flood current was too strong. The tug and barges approached the drawbridge-section, which failed to re-open fast enough while the river was near flood stage (drawbridges must close & re-open to allow waiting traffic to cross). The fast currents pinned the craft, starboard side, against the bridge in high waters. The force was so dramatic that it pulled the boat downward, tilting it beneath the bridge, and fully submerging it in the river. The underwater pressure blew out a port-side window in the pilot house, which began filling with water, while the captain remained at the helm. However, soon, the tugboat emerged out the other side of the bridge, and righted itself, with water pouring from the doorways and decks. One of the 2 main ventilator funnels had tilted to the center, but one engine was still running, to steer/anchor the tugboat in a flooded cornfield. Another downstream tugboat, M/V Tallapoosa rescued the captain and all 3 crew members, with the pilot, then secured the 2 barges of coal. The barges were later towed to Mobile by the same company's towboat M/V Mauvilla, which itself became infamous*, 14 years later, for the 1993 Big Bayou Canot train wreck.’’ - - * by killing 47 and injuring 103 men.

Cheers!
    Angel

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

great track record those guys got going for themselves there

15. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I custom ordered some Converse as summer driving shoes off their website. I'm going to get some arch support inserts soon. I kept the color scheme simple and B&W so that I could wear them often. On the website I tried laying out an orange on one side blue on the other with a green interior, purple stripes, red thread stitching and white tongue but chickened out.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have driving moccasins for hot days but they are not good everyday kicking around and walking shoes.

These shoes will not be used on my hovercraft, I always end up getting muddy - so much for being amphibious.;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.