MV Conception legal side

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by jehardiman, Sep 2, 2022.

1. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

2. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Don't know a ton. Mostly followed it from what's been written in workboats magazine. Saw the boats a few times when squid fishing a few years before the accident. Was always amazed how they stuffed 10 pounds of gear in a 5 lbd boat.

All that to say.
    Tragedy... yes
    Should it be learned from... yes
    Should voluntary changes...yes
    Should a long line of people have made better decisions...yes
    Did they get away with it for many many years.... yes

Life has inherent risk, eventually we all die. Some to natural causes some in what seem like stupid tragedies... some point someone has to pee on the fire and call the dogs. What's done is done, grief has happened learn from it and try and be better in the future. As a captain of vessels with 1/10th the souls aboard, I can only imagine he will be haunted enough for the rest of his life.

3. rnlock

rnlock Senior Member

The tragedy and hardship are ongoing for the victims' families. A lot more people would die if negligence was not strongly discouraged.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The deeper problem I have is that the captain is not really the man in charge. And there is little to debate unless he owns the vessel.

Negligent owners and vessel operators can just fill the captain's chair with a captain who goes along with their wishes.

So, for me, the criminality question must always consider the admiralty, if you will.

And the admiralty, here in the US, almost always skate. The duck boat tragedy was completely and fully inexcusable by any standards of decent conduct. This tragedy, was also due to packing divers in the unsafe hold like sardines. The fact not a single person escaped is telling me that design of the vessel was the primary problem and a watchman falling asleep, a likely, but secondary matter. The design, I mean all things, from proper battery charging, to fire suppression, to warning systems, to egress standards..clearly problems from any prudent man standard.

Because of all the issues, it is likely the captain will be hard to pin with blame unless he was the on duty watch. Not a legal opinion, just public court juror here.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.