Ramp Maximum Inclination

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by majaregielou, Mar 25, 2013.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I agree Daiquiri. I would never put a ramp with slope greater than 10%. However, there are solutions, like putting the end of the ramp, let's say 1 meter, articulated.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I guess you wanted to say 10°. ;) 10% equals 5.7° - a bit low.

Yes, I agree that the articulated ramp is the solution and, by what I could see, it is usually done at the free side of the ramp. The side which is connected to the ship was not articulated on the ramps I could see so far (but I haven't seen that many of them), and that's where problems usually arise. The hump between the ramp edge and the car deck. I can recall two occasions in which ramps had such a severe hump that cars loaded with a family and their baggage remained stuck in the middle like a teeter-board, unable to move either forward or backwards... :D Many years ago my mother had some cables running along the car bottom truncated by the ramp edge... :mad:

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I mean 10%. ie, in a stretch of 100 m, horizontally, you raise 10 m, vertical. But, of course, may have much room here. I only speak of what I have seen in 4 or 5 boats ro-pax, which, more or less, was up 4.5 m over a length of 60 m. (I know that this is not at 10%)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.