Railing heights

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fallguy, Sep 19, 2021.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I have 18" high bulwarks, benches, gunwhales on the Skoota cockpit. Not much toekick except the aft corners.

How high to run the rails up?

34"?
    36"?
    39"?

36" feels right for me...I am 6' tall.

And 18" high bulwarks and an 18" rail get just a top rail or would you do two?

I have some 0.065" wall railing 3/4", but been told that is too weak?

Thanks for any replies. The project will be done this winter.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Can you post a general photo of the cockpit please?
    I am thinking that the only way to fall overboard from the cockpit would be on the aft side (?), so that would be the only side really that needs any railings as such?

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The refridgerator goes in the cabin. The cockpit is about 7' deep by 16' wide. There are two large gangways or fish doors well above water that also serve as water exits. The helm riser is in thee space and about 40" wide by 3' deep. Sorry I don't have a better picture. Maybe tomorrow I can get a better one, but this one is looking from port to starboard.
    C9FBD6F3-FDEB-473F-8F8A-072BAFE7F95D.jpeg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.