Stringer replacement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Nathan246, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Nathan246

Nathan246 Junior Member

Hi everyone recently purchased a 17ft ski/fishing boat found the floor to be cracked. So was in the process of replacing floor to find that there was water in the boat, and all the stringers rotted. I have done all of research into it and found alot of useful information, but my question is should I do it on the trailer or if not what type of stands should I have the boat on??

2. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

Take it off the trailer... Block it level starting at the stern.. Level and check every 2 foot starting from transom.. Make sure bottom is straight... Pull center line... Take all measurements square from center line string each direction... Check and re check ... Dont trust the trailer... Poor trailer adjustments is the reason for most hooks or warpage in the hull... .. Check as you go along... And re check... .. Its very important to have it level and straight throughout the entire build... If its twisted. Its not going to perform correctly... And can even be a hazard to you and your passengers

3. Nathan246

Nathan246 Junior Member

Ok no worries thanks for your reply, and just another question I will be using epoxy resin but what cloth is recommended. I have been reading about of forums and read that biaxial is a good option? These are the options from one place Screenshot_20180314-123143.png

4. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

I prefer to use a 45 degree stitched material like the 1708 myself... With the 45 degree... Its much easier to apply in multiple radius situations such as stringers

5. Nathan246

Nathan246 Junior Member

Ahhh ok thanks I did see some people posting about the 1708 aswell, I might invest in that instead

boatbuilder41 likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.