1st timer and lovin it

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Nathan.S, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Nathan.S

Nathan.S New Member

Hi im refurbishing my 1st boat it's an early 70's 14 ft Monark fiberglass fishing boat. I,ve cutout the entire floor except the bilge area which is approx. 1/4" solid fiberglass, Ive cut out the transom from the inside(will posibly re-use the glass), and I am prepairing to cut out and replace the stringers as well. I'm figuring on using marine grade ply 1/2 "for the floor, laminate 2 pcs of marine 3/4 " for the transom, and treated or marine 2 by's for the stringers to duplicate it's origional construction as best I can. I'm assuming that Poly resin was used and should be ok for the repair. I am trying to keep costs down, but also want to have a good solid boat for 10 years or so with routine maintenance and covered storage. Will polyester do the job? Also what would be desired thickness of glass for floor and tabbing, stringers, and transom? should bottom of floor have glass? So many ?'s Im sorry. Any respone would be greatly appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.