A kayak as a mold

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nitsuj, Jun 9, 2011.

1. nitsuj

nitsuj Junior Member

Hello,

Can a kayak be used as a mold for a fiberglass kayak?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes .

3. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Sure. But if you want to produce your new boat straight there, you need to add fairing work. This adds weight.
    Think about making a mould first on the original.
    Advantage: You then can make more than one boat only. If a friend wants one, too, your costs for the mould will be reduced and the result will be better.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If the boat being used as the mold is a copyright protected design, then "splashing" it (what you describe) is illegal. Kayaks are easy to build, including 'glass ones. Plans are cheap too. Buy a set of plans and build one properly, rather then steal someone else's work without paying the royalty fees. How would you feel about someone copying one of your designs without paying for the plans?

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Probably better to make a mould from the kayak because it would be desirable to have a female mould so the outside of the finished kayak is smoother.

Also some kayaks have a timber strengthener running through them, so that would have to be included.

6. HakimKlunker

Copy Right

1.: For sure
    2.: Easy to call the manufacturer and ask about it
    3.: Proud, but pissed-off

To my understanding the royalty fee was paid with the purchase of the first boat. If this first one is destroyed/taken out of service later on, we can think of something like a renovation? Surely my suggestion to make more of them does not fit in here and I apologize: My idea was wrong there.

Now we need to find a way to make CHINA agree...

7. Roostah

Roostah Junior Member

if its an old kayak or if the company no longer produces this kayak then sure go for it. also you would probably want to use the original kayak as a plug to build a mold. this means possible damage to the kayak/ plug. so I would definitely practice this method on something minor first.. also research research research.

8. HakimKlunker

Does anyone pay royalties to the Innuit? It is THEIR copyright actually ;)

9. bntii

bntii Senior Member

A bit of semantics perhaps- the existing kayak will be a plug used to create a mold from which one can layup more hulls.

So yes- you can get there but the first step is to create the mold at the expense of the materials and time used.

But why?

Do you need a second kayak or...?

10. HakimKlunker

I knew a guy once who regularly crashed his kayak.
    It was an extremely light weight thing.
    So he went and replaced the wreck each time by making a new one.
    Chaqu'un son facon...

11. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I had a GRP sit in kayak and it had so many patches from hitting rocks in surf, I finally left it out the front for a rubbish pick up.

I now have a Mission sit on. My 4 wheel drive doesn't fit under the carport with the kayak on the roof rack. One day I forgot it was there and rammed the kayak into the roof of the carport. No damage to the kayak but put a fair dent in the front of the carport.

I would definately recommend a Mission Kayak for ramming carports.

12. nitsuj

nitsuj Junior Member

Interesting, I don't have an above average understanding of copyright law but that sounds laughable (in the context of personal use).

I would hold music as a perfect annalogy to the scenario as you put it. I buy a CD (kayak) and I can make as many personal use copies as I please. Perhaps to leave the original in best shape as possible (for future copies :)

If I designed a kayak and someone copied it I would take great pride in that fact. If I was a profiteering kayak producing machine and someone stole my kayak design, I would be upset at the potential of not effectively milking the design for everything it is worth.

The world of hobbie boat building lies far far from the realm of business ethics (my country would agree). i.e. not stepping on the toes of some company.

thats just my opinion though (after it was suggested I was stealling someone elses work)

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you copied one of my designs and used it yourself I'd expect compensation. In lue of this, a punch in the nose might momentarily suffice, as I take stealing many hours of work very seriously. There's absolutely no flattery in theft, regardless of the intentions of the thief and the court system in your country, as it is here are in complete agreement on this. Copy a Corvette, for personal use only and see what this brings you. The only difference here, is the number and quality of the attorneys that will be present, when you show up in court.
    Why is it okay to not step on a businesses toes, but okay to step on a designer's? Is he not a business too? Laughable? Yep, it would be as again, if it was my design, I'd forgo the lawyers and court system for a much simpler, more immediate and cost effective method, involving some biker buddies, a destroyed boat and your extended stay in intensive care facility . . .

14. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Nothing's illegal until you get caught :D

15. HakimKlunker

PAR: I think, I have a job for you, as you have the right contacts :p

Justin's CD comparison made sense in my eyes: If the motivation for a copy is non-commercial and with 'no bad intentions' it is still not legal but can be tolerated.
    A man of honour still can offer a royalty fee to the original producer/designer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.