Racor question

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by cutthroat59, Oct 29, 2010.

1. cutthroat59

cutthroat59 New Member

Hi,im new to this forum and would appreciate any advise,im about to install a racor system and the ideal placement would be about 2' over the batteries,is this an issue and am I asking for trouble?

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

If I may, have you purchased the Racor yet? What engines do you have? If they are common rail, I wouldn't use a Racor but something like the posted pic. It is simpler, has much more capacity, and is easier to keep stuff from contaminating your fuel when you change filters. Your battery has a cover over it, right? I can't see a problem there but wait for other replies as I am ignorant of potential problems with that.
    Picture 097.jpg

3. cutthroat59

cutthroat59 New Member

Thank you,I have an old Detroit 6-71 ,

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

A Racor is fine for you. Above the box, I don't see a problem if there is a vented cover as there should be but others may. Common rail engines should be the end of Racors, as we know them. They require cleaner fuel than is easy to provide with a Racor filter.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Please cleaner fuel/ My racors 30 microns and 2 microns provide pretty clean fuel...

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...you may also like to install a dual system so that one is always on line.....mark has a valid point regarding cartridge systems/ inside filters.....they are certainly easier to keep out contaminates whilst changing.