Race to Alaska and a listing of race entrants so far

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

R2ak

Good stuff, thanks, Corley!

3. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

I especially like the standup paddleboarder... That's pretty impressive.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The "Pure and Wild" team have uploaded a video of the first day on the water in their new Paul Bieker designed proa.

https://youtu.be/MuJsph6PjmY

5. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

The Russel Brown proas look so right to me. The antithesis of the power machine and a great vehicle for the low prismatic shape, low weight type boat you want in a race with human power as a design constraint.

Cheers

Phil

6. basil

basil Senior Member

I've checked out the site and can't seem to find the Richard Woods designed cat? Have they got the boat finished? I'm sure there was a link on Richards site - not any more.

Yeah the SUP guy sure has got guts. He's done amazing distances - who knows he may win!

7. ch3oh

ch3oh Junior Member

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I don't know if Richard completed the design and build of the cat but he is competing on the flush deck crowther cat "Nice Pair" with Stephen Marcoe the team name is "Golden Oldies".

He put an update over on his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/richard.woods.designs?fref=ts

10. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

This should be interesting. A lot will depend on the weather. Several spots can get pretty rough. Johmstone Straight towards the North end of Vancouver Island tends to act like a funnel with 30 knot headwinds routine and strong currents in several places.

A small craft sailor was lost in the ocean stretch North of the Island coming down last year while we were cruising.

Tris in the round the Island race often get break downs pushing too hard. The proas will need to be careful up there. While some areas will be light wind this is early in the season for light wind.

First the Straight of Juan de Fuca with its currents. Judging this will have a effect on the first leg which ends in BC and is the qualifier. Some of the approaches can be a pain if the wind drops. I've actually spent a fair amount of time out there paddling hoping for wind as well as reefed down for a real lumpy ride. The bigger boats should be able to stay out through everything but the small guys are going to have to know when to anchor or beach.

Hopefully no one will screw up in the passes trying to go early. Some currents exceed 17 knots. One boat I think that has potential to do well is the Hobie 33 if they sorted out some manual propulsion. A light wind stretch will help the paddlers but the odds favor the fast sailors that are big enough to shelter their crew and keep going through it all.

11. cavalier mk2

Just read Richard's blog, he certainly gets some nice rides! Getting a boat ready is a race in itself, hopefully they packed the anchor as everyone will need one to keep from getting set back by the current at times or waiting for the change of tide.

I do think they should have different classes, many of these boats won't be in the same race. One of these years I'd like to do it for fun but the entry fee is a bit steep. Having some people needing to use beaver pelts while others have a dozen sponsors nicely sums up the human condition.

12. cavalier mk2

This morning there is a significant round of DNFs. I think the idea of using Juan de Fuca as a qualifier is a good one. The wind and waves usually come in from the ocean and conditions can be challenging or flat calm. If the boats can't get across here they really don't want to be in the conditions further North. I've thought some of these boats might be underestimating the challenges.

The next section is one of those tactical choices. The entries can either go up the length of the Straights of Georgia or stay inside the Gulf Islands for the first part.

If there is wind the Straights are a good choice for the sailors but it is open water and can get rough. Waves here tend to be steeper and closer together than Juan De Fuca.

The Gulf Island route is a good pick for the human powered or small boats or if it is blowing hard in Georgia as it is fairly protected water. Winds can be good but tend to be lighter than what is in Georgia. The challenge here is that to get through into the Straights again at some point you'll have to be hitting slack water through the first of those fast current passes which ties you in to their time table. First is Active Pass with the ferry traffic, midway through is Porlier Pass, then Gabriola Pass. These tend to have waves at the connection with the Straights. At the end of the Gulf Islands is Dodd Narrows, for the inside route they offer the longest protected stretch, traffic bunches up here at slack which you must observe and they really are narrow but we sail through often, best with the wind behind. If there is enough wind for steerage going through an hour early with the current behind you can give you a exciting boost and skip some of the congestion but 360s are possible in the eddies coming out the other side. Once through the paddlers can go behind Newcastle Island but the sailors shouldn't, it is like sailing through town with seaplanes landing.

It will be fun to see how the choices here work for everybody, we've seen plenty of no wind times here too. I think for some of the boats getting exhausted fighting the current in the calms will be a factor. It might be better use of strength to just wait but that means a long anchor line or being close enough to shore to drop the hook.

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

That the biggest, most powerful boat finished first was no surprise given the race was one big reach. That less than 50 minutes separated the big Crowther 38' and the tiny 19' Mau over 40 miles is stunning (IMO).

My preliminary finish order.....incomplete

Prelimfinish02.JPG

14. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Cav I can't find Richard's blog on the rides in the race - only getting ready. Where do I look?

cheers

Phil

15. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Thanks from the other side of the planet, Cav, for all the local (and hard won?) information.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.