2D drafting software

Discussion in 'Software' started by jonathan, Nov 2, 2003.

1. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member

Hi all,
    I just came upon this site : Cadstd, and would like to know what you think of it. I have had a quick go at it and it doesn't look too bad. The features are somewhat limited, especially so for the evaluation version (no fillet, chamfer, etc...) but at $25, the "Pro" version seems like a good deal.

I think it is better than some evaluation versions of other programs, that terminate after 2 weeks or some number of saves.

It also exports R12 dxf fairly reliably, although I couldn't convince it to import anything.

If you guys have a few minutes to spare to try yet another CAD soft, I would be interested in your opinions.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks for the info

been there, try turbocad the free 2d version i thinks you can still donwload it, probably the most complete 2d cad freeware.

if you are truly new into cad and non looking to do pro design maybe hobby level, just go for turbocad the 2d version its great

good luck

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Interesting that turbocad should come up - it's the 2d cad software I started with over 10 years ago. I left it behind shortly after because at that time it didn't have smooth autocad/dxf import & output so that was a major limitation. But I always enjoyed using it - it was a great program in the early 1990's, especially considering the bargain price (I think it was only around $30 or $50 back then)

Now it appears the free TurboCad LE version can be downloaded from http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.16

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

P.S. and thank you very much for posting the link to Cadstd Jonathan (and sorry if I went a bit off topic reminiscing about my beginnings with turbocad) It's always good to have options when friends ask for a free cad program to get started with.

5. Hans Friedel

Hans Friedel Senior Member

Intelicad is a free AutoCad clone. Some stuff is actually better then AutoCad

http://www.cadopia.com

If you want the "real thing" AutoCad LT is the way to go

Hans Friedel

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Intelicad doesn't appear to be free though?

"Buy Download-$149"

7. Hans Friedel

I think the evaluation version is a fully functional version (it use to be that) but I am not quit shure now

anyhow 149 USD is almost free ;)

8. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member

Sure, but how do I know to who I'm going to give it? I've been using Autocad fo a number of years, and 15 days or 1 month is not really enough to learn to use the basics of a new software, let alone evaluate its power and features...

9. Hans Friedel

Test it and if you dont like it dont buy it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.