Remove Tilt Motor Omc 260 Twin

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by warrior7946, Feb 20, 2014.

1. warrior7946

warrior7946 Junior Member

I Need To Remove Both Tilt Motors On 1980 Imp Kansa It Has Twin Omc 260 With 800 Series Outdrives. My Question Is It Better To Remove Them By Working On Top Of The Motor Or Remove Outdrive & Loosen The Boot For Access From The Rear? Any Advise Would Be Very Appreciated. Warrior Sebring Fl

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

as I remember everything for the tilt is done from the outside and you don tneed to remove the drive.
    I'll try to find a parts layout and then I'll remember

3. warrior7946

Tilt Motors R&r

Thank You For Any Help You May Have. Cliff

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

but the motor comes out from the inside.
    Whats the problem, no motor or motor runs but no tilt

5. warrior7946

Tilt Motors

Hi, One Motor On The Starboard Side Is Clicking Only. The Motor Has Scale Rust On The Outside Caseing. The Tilt Makes No Effort To Operate Up Or Down. The Other Motor Makes No Sound At All .the Outside Caseing Is Also Scaled With Rust. It Appears That The Boat Sat For A Year And Perhaps Water Level Inside Reached The Two Motors. If I Decide To Go From The Top It Looks Like I Would Be Required To Remove One Exhaust On Both Engines And Still Have Very Little Room To Work. Someone Told Me To Go From The Stern By Removing The Outdrive And Rubber Boot And That Is A Lot Easier Than From Up Top. I Have Never Performed This R&r Replacement Part And Was Hoping He Was Right About Revoving Outdrives And Boots For Easy Access. Im Already Thinking What A Nightmare The Rusted Bolts Will Require For Removal Without Snaping Them Off. If That Happens I Would Need To Remove An Engine To Access The Retaping Of The Bolt Holes. Thanks For Replying And Any Advise Will Be Well Recieved. Cliff

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

First chase the solenoids for up and down before the motors.
    If the engines are close together maybe drop the outdrive, remove the boot and lift the whole engine out with the intermediate housing its is actually easier and faster to do that.
    If water filled up on the inside then you have a starter motor issue as well.
    all thats way easier if you pull the engines.

7. warrior7946

R&r Engine

Thanks I Feel The Same Way Its Going To Be Cluster Xxxx To Try It The Other Way. I Have The A Frame So It Wont Be Inconvient To Pull The Motors & At The Same Time I Will Be Able To Freshen The Engine Compartment & The Motor As Well. Any Advise On Pulling The Motors Would Be Super Thanks Again Cliff. I Have The Repair Manual But Some Time Someone Knows A Trick Or Two That Saves Alot Of Time & Agravation.

8. warrior7946

R&r Engine

Thanks I Feel The Same Way Its Going To Be Cluster Xxxx To Try It The Other Way. I Have The A Frame So It Wont Be Inconvient To Pull The Motors & At The Same Time I Will Be Able To Freshen The Engine Compartment & The Motor As Well. Any Advise On Pulling The Motors Would Be Super Thanks Again Cliff. I Have The Repair Manual But Some Time Someone Knows A Trick Or Two That Saves Alot Of Time & Agravation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.