Quick question about plywood boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by 58Dunphy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. 58Dunphy

58Dunphy 58 Dunphy Imperial Robalo

I just purchased a 1958 Dunphy Imperial Robalo. I was wondering what is the best way to finish the "top" of the boat. Do I just sand and varnish or do I need to epoxy above the waterline. The guy I bought the boat from had started the restoration and has done the "bottom" below the waterline. He said he epoxied and repainted below the waterline. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sparks

Sparks New Member

58 Dunphy

It looks like over a year has passed since you requested input on refinishing your 58 Dunphy. I assume you're done with the project by now. Is your boat a Robalo? I have a 1959 Dunphy Robalo that I refinished in the early 1990s. It gets very little use, but we enjoy using it when we do. It would be nice to swap pictures if you've still got your boat.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Yes, photos Please.

4. Sparks

Sparks New Member

Not sure if my previous message went through or not... Anyway, sorry, I didn't get around to sending photos of my 59 Robalo. The boat has been buried away in a shed, but I'll do so next spring when it gets pulled out from storage. I'n the meantime, I'd very much appreciate it if you could send some pics of your boat if you can. I'd be very interested in comparing the boats since they are one year apart and it would be interesting to note the differences and similarities. I'd really like pics of your windshield and canvass top. Mine are not the originals, and I'd like to have a good photo reference for when I scavenge for a new windshield. I'd also really appreciate a high res digital photo of the Robalo name and Dunphy logo decal located on the side of the boat. I had some decals made up fifteen years ago when I stripped and refinished the varnish, but the quality of the decals wasn't that good and now they're peeling up and I need to replace them. Any chance you can do this? It may be easier if you correspond directly to me via email at: sparks@eishome.com Also, what motor do you have? Mine originally had a 35 HP Johnson, but in 95 I bought a 50 HP Johnson with power tilt/trim as that was the last year that Johnson made a short shaft motor. I've only got about 50 hours on it in the dozen or so years since, but it's nice to have the trim and reliability of the new motor even though the looks of the motor is off from the original. Hope to hear from you and thanks in advance for any pics you can send. I'll send pics of mine as soon as I can next spring.