weathered Mahogany transom

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Mac Attack, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Hello everyone,
    My current project requires me to refinish a mahogany transom. The transom has a weathered varnish finish on about 2/3 rds of the area. The rest is weathered gray due to exposure to the elements. I have stripped the varnish and sanded a little. The weathered gray is deeper than I thought. How can I get rid of the gray without sanding any more wood? Is there some kind of wash? 50/50 h2o and bleach? Some kind of cleaner?
    Thanx:confused:

2. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Are you sure that Gray is something you can clean off. It may be where the sunlight has killed the wood surface down to about .030 or more in depth.

I seem to remember a product from Smith Chemicals down in California that would seep into the wood a lot farther than Thinned Fiberglass resin could.

Maybe some old fashioned oils as in Porch n' Deck stain would make it all one color again?