Establishing bulwarks in Freeship 2.6

Discussion in 'Software' started by drshaddock, Feb 6, 2008.

1. drshaddock

drshaddock Design Engineer

I've got a nice design started for a 45' LOD schooner. But I'm trying to figure out how to model bulwarks and/or superstructure (like cabintops and cockpits). I have the hull done; I then extruded the deck from the top of the hull (although I would rather have produced another line or intersection with the hull and extruded THAT, which would have let my hull topside extend higher than the deck and form the bulwarks that I'm trying to model.

So I thought I'd extrude the top line of the hull transversely, move all the extruded points to the centerline, and split the control lines so I could create a nice curvature-so far, so good. But then I wanted to again extrude the top line of the hull vertically about a foot to create bulwarks--won't let me do it because I can only extrude edges, and this sheer line is no longer an edge.

So I thought I'd create a new surface. Or a new line. Or a new point. Or anything like that! But the only thing I really seem to be able to do is create a surface that runs INTERNAL to the hull, like a bulkhead, either transverse or longitudinal or whatever. I can't create anything BEYOND the hull--above the deck for a cabintop, etc. And I don't understand the Add Point function; if I provide X, Y, and Z coordinates, I'd somehow expect to actually create a point. But it doesn't happen! What am I missing? I'd seen a demo file where someone had drawn an engine and some internal structure--how, pray tell?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Olav

Olav naval architect

You have two alternatives:

1) Insert a cylinder (Tools -> Add cylinder) into your hull model and alter it to your desired superstructure shape.

2) Start a new model, make your superstructure from it and save it as a part file (*.part). Then open your hull file again and import the superstructure part.

3. drshaddock

drshaddock Design Engineer

Great ideas! Okay, add cylinder seems a little obscure--and it shouldn't have to be this hard!--but making a separate part and importing it--brilliant! Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.