Quick, Easy 3-Man Canoe Plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Submarine Tom, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I doubt you will find exactly what you need but here are some places to start -

Quick-build canoe design and instructions 16' x 42" 3 sheets http://www.andrewlinn.com/plans/lazyweekender/index.htm

14' bateau canoe http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

The 6-hour canoe was featured in WoodenBoat Mag #125 (Jul/Aug '95) which can be downloaded. Cost of the download is $3.50

More plans here http://www.storerboatplans.com/wp/?p=701

They're all very similar, flat-bottomed canoes, probably with more freeboard than you need for one short trip which is why a 3-man canoe tends to require 3 sheets of ply. My own 12' solo canoe (1/1/4 sheets) has less than 5" freeboard and has never shipped water.

My blog shows use of chine logs which will be quicker than glass tape and epoxy goo and may provide other ideas http://theancientkayaker.weebly.com/index.html

Haven't read it but you might find some good advice here http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/welsford/011/john.htm

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Thank you AK.

Good food for thought but as you say not likely to find exactly what I need...

Leaves me thinking my own design may just be more applicable.

Doesn't that just contradict everything I've learned about proven designs.

It'll be fun to experiment with some prototypes and sea-trials.

I really appreciate all your efforts and comments, it helps.

I'm a big research guy so I will look at all your suggestions (some I already have).

I found an adhesive/sealant I haven't used before.

It's half the price of Sika or 4200 (3M) and skins over pretty quick.

Like Hoyt said, it'll be more for sealing than bonding.

Proflex Geoshield, $10 CAN for the big cartridge.

Gorilla Glue is too expensive for this cost restricted build.

Galvanised ring nails are cheap.

Let the prototyping begin.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

4. Submarine Tom

All very nice #4.

I considered puting one paddler on the outrigger and the other two on the main hull,

but if you look at the video earlier in the thread, you'd see there's no place for an outrigger(s) in this crowded race.

5. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

Hi Tom,
    I watched the 2012 video,
    looks like a good laugh
    Is there a length restriction?
    Heres a 3 man Tahitian va'a
    Cheers
    Adam

Attached Files:

• va'a.jpg
      va'a.jpg
      File size:
      141.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Submarine Tom

Adam,

No length limit.

Isn't that a beautiful craft!

Can you imagine negotiating that 26'+ through the crowded course?

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Oh I don't know, you'd be well in front at the first turn!

8. Submarine Tom

What about that first turn AK...?

I make it to be at least 100 degrees.

9. Petros

Petros Senior Member

It does not take very large out riggers to add a lot of stablity. On one of my more successful quick-build design for a similar contest (though we also has to sail it part of the course making the build more complicated) we built an 18" wide x 18' long main hull with two short outriggers mounted with a 2x6 that was only 8' long (so the amas were only 4' out from the center line). We had a two man crew (build and than race), we area able to put the crew both far enough forward and behind the outriggers so it did not interfere with paddling double ended paddles.

We won the race with it because were were able to out paddle everyone else, and our sailing leg performance was not bad either (a small and simple junk rig did the trick). We started in a gaggle of crude boats, about 5th in the line up, we shot past everyone with the kayak type paddles, rounded the first maker, paddled to the next one (also first around the mark) and than we had to sail the last leg (per the race rules). several of the entrants sank (part of the fun on this kind of race), and the guys who built catamarans just could not paddle them well at all, too hard to coordinate strokes and balance the forward motion, and almost impossible to steer quickly around the marks.

We used skin on frame construction, 12 hours to build, about $65 materials cost. Of course you need to build yours a bit faster, but neither do you need a rudder and sailing rig. It does not take much of an outrigger to ad a lot of stability allow us to spend all our efforts paddling forward instead of trying to stay up right.

Here is a video clip of the event: the race starts about 30 seconds in, and it shows us winning at about 1.00 min. it was a very low wind day, a heavy mono-hull was right behind us (with the blue tarp sail) who inadvertently cheated (paddled part of the sailing leg), but we won anyway. We took on some water so you can see the rear deck is awash at the end of the race. It was a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg3Tg42t8rM

10. Submarine Tom

Petros,

Thanks for that!

How much space did you allow fore and aft per paddler between cross bars?

My exploration today is below:

16' X 1', sealed hulls, sit on top.

10' outrigger beam

About 75 pounds of boat and 550 pounds of crew.

Sketch: Top View,
    End View
    Side View

Attached Files:

11. Petros

Petros Senior Member

ours had a max beam of 8' from outside to outside, and it was rock solid stable with relatively small amas, I really do not think you need 10 ft.

I think I was working on about 3 ft forward or aft of the seat for clearance. Attached as the three view drawings for you to study. the dark areas on the main hull are foot wells, the seat was just aft of the foot well. It was stable enough to sit up tall, and even to stand on it without any issues. and between us were were well over 500 lbs of crew (225 for me and about 285 for my partner, plus PFDs and other gear).

Attached Files:

12. Submarine Tom

Wow, pretty similar 'eh!

I was going to use 2 x 4 for the cross member so it wasn't too rigid.

I'll take your advice and try an 8' beam.

You can see I went pretty shallow on the ama displacement hoping for some planing out of them.

We are three fit guys with kayak style paddles that need to last 2:15 - 2:30 minutes.

What do think?

Any more footage of your run?

13. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

14. Submarine Tom

Again #4, all very nice, superb athletes, well accept for the first video, no footage of boats...

This is a three man event. That's an odd number, unlike the #4!

Well, you may be odd, I don't know for sure.

Single paddles are not as fast as double blades.

They are not very conducive to odd numbers of paddlers.

As intermediate paddlers, we're going to have a hard enough time keeping a straight, fast course.

Double paddling is much smoother especially in heave.

My design is much more suited to a smoother, double blade paddle.

We cannot build a nice rounded hull (in cross section) like the beautiful crafts you are advocating in the time alloted.

My design will turn faster.

I have ruled out any possibilty of using the boat design you are advocating.

Thanks for coming out though.

15. Submarine Tom

Ancient K,

I am interested in your feedback on my last sketch.

You can see I've dropped the keel!

I'm not so concerned with roll control anymore.

Although the outriggers sure have the effect of "training wheels" on my psyche...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.