What have i bought

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by maxmini, Aug 2, 2017.

1. maxmini

maxmini Junior Member

50 years ago i missed out on buying a nice little three point hydro as the day we looked at it my report card came out :)
    Recently on a lark I was looking at craigslist and this little runabout caught my eye. One thing led to another and in about hour I made a deal with the owner . Great guy and offered what help he could but he really did not know the true origin of it wither . He was under the impression that it may have been a minimost but from the pictures i've see that's not the case. It's 9.5 ft in length and according to the owner does get a move on with that 40 hp motor.
    unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed (3).jpg
    If anyone recognizes the boat for what it really is I would love to get what information I could. Its in wonderful shape and was at a price I could not turn down.
    Thank you all for any assistance you may be able to provide.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd say it could be a "Sea Shovel" :eek: It might come up for air if you "stuff" it, but I wouldn't guarantee it !

3. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

Angélique likes this.
  4. johnhazel

johnhazel Senior Member

You call it a three point hydro but I don't see a step or tunnel in the hull. I looks like a standard planing hull.

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Yes, the post #1 boat looks are of the linked Minimost XL, and it says there: ‘‘L just over 10' , B 5' , power 9.9 to 50 Hp’’

And it also says: ‘‘can easily accommodate 2 adults or 2 adults and a child’’

- Note: - The below PDF #7 shows modificated frame patterns for a beam increase from 5' to 66 ¼" ( = 5.52' = 66.25" = 5' 6¼" = 1.68275 Meters )
    And a hull height of 18 1/8" ( = 18.13" = 1' 6 1/8" = 1.51' = 0.46038 Meters )
    The hull length stays unchanged there at just over 10' ( = 120" = 3.048 Meters )

From R Araujo's link:
    ‘‘ - - Click HERE for page 1
    Click HERE for page 2
    Click HERE for page 3
    Click HERE for page 4
    Click HERE for page 5
    Click HERE for page 6
    Click HERE for page 7
    shows modificated frame patterns for a beam (beam = width) increase from 5' to 5' 6¼"
    Click HERE for page 8 - - ’’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The post #1 boat also looks a bit like the below Glen-L monohydroplane XP-8 (L = 9¼' version), but that one has only 4' of beam, and she carries max one adult, and so she sports a narrow cockpit for these reasons.

So Max Mini, what is the beam of your boat ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Glen-L ---> Boat Plans & Kits Catalog ---> Outboards --->

XP-8 - Monoplane Speedboat Quote ---> Bill of Materials ---> Drawing Quote ---> Photo Quote --->

‘‘ - - Characteristics
    Length overall 8' 3" or 9' 3" ( = 111" = 9¼' = 9.25' = 2.8194 Meters )
    Beam 4' 0" ( = 48" = 1.2192 Meters )
    Hull depth 14" ( = 1' 2" = 1.17' = 0.3556 Meters )
    Average passengers 1
    Hull weight (approx.): 90 lbs ( = 40.8233133 Kg )
    Hull type: Vee bottom monohydroplane developed for sheet plywood planking.
    Power: Outboard motor to 5 Hp ( = 3.72849936 Kw )
    Can the hull be extended or shortened ? No. - We also do not recommend increasing the beam.

The XP-8 is a high speed monoplane-type hull intended for the best possible speed with the least amount of power. Since speed is the purpose, the cockpit is intended to seat only the person driving the boat. Also, since speed is a function of weight, both the boat and the driver should be as lightweight as possible. As with any small boat intended for high speed, don't use the XP-8 in rough unprotected waters.

The XP-8 can be built in either 8¼' or 9¼' lengths from the same Plans and Full Size Patterns. The larger version provides greater carrying capacity. Either hull is simple to construct, whether working from plans or the special Frame Kit. No building forms are required... the plans are especially complete... the instructions include actual photos of the construction of the original prototype... in short, nothing is left to chance. Add it all up and you will find the XP-8 the ideal craft for the beginner who wants an exciting little boat.
    ’’

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ‘‘ XP-8 - (modified) ’’

XP-8 by Fred Quote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

‘‘ . . . . So I got this 28hp Johnson on it now. I had to add a planing-board type box to the back of the boat. This works well. It keeps the front down and ads to flotation. The motor is kind of heavy for such a small boat. With a 12" pitch prop I have reached 34.3 mph using my GPS. I must say, 28hp for an XP-8 is extreme and I don't recommend it for a novice boater. . . . . ’’

XP-8 by Dave Quote = Only Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

XP-8 by Jake Quote = Only Pictures

Note, in the first and the last below picture the cockpit coamings seems to be later raised, in order to keep water out, I'll guess.

The raising of the cockpit coamings looks to be done after some boat use without the raised coamings, as can be seen in the middle picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glen-L ---> Customer Photos ---> Boat Builder Photos ---> Customer Photos - Archives ---> X

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. Angélique

The post #1 boat, and the Minimost XL, and the XP-8 all look to me like what Glen-L calls a ‘‘monohydroplane’’, see the second part of my above post for this. I think ‘‘monohydroplane’’ is just a fancy term for a planing hull . . :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  7. maxmini

maxmini Junior Member

You are correct with regards to the boat I have purchased . The three point reference was to the boat I originally went to look at many years ago and I never forgot it .

8. maxmini

maxmini Junior Member

First off I have to thank you all for the information and I look forward to learning as much as I can about this boat . I have been very active in both sailboat racing and automotive forums for years and I've never seeen such overwhelming response to a newbies question before and I am truly gratefull to you all . The boat is being picked up by my brother in law tomorrow in CT and will be taking many photos and video for me as I live in the Los Angeles area . I spend my summers in CT which is where the boat will be kept . In the mean time I plan on learning as much about the boat as I can and how I may improve it if possible as I do love to tinker with things a bit . I will post up some new photos as I get them and for now begin to digest the info you all have provided . I haven't even gotten out of bed yet and you guys have made my day . I've certainly come tho the write place .

9. Angélique

Some links, and some comparison pictures from there, and a trim tab issue . . ? ?

Muskoka Seaflea ---> Forum ---> General ---> Page 13 for now ? ---> Mini Most XL Inaugural Test Run and Prop Selection* ---> Reply #14 = trim tab issue !

Muskoka Seaflea ---> Forum ---> Mini Most XL = sub forum, but not so much info there IMHO.

* Post #1 there contains a link to ---> Mini Most XL pictures ---> of course I couldn't find pics with the same angles of photography . . o_O

1 [​IMG]

2 [​IMG]

3 [​IMG]

4 [​IMG]

5 [​IMG]

6 [​IMG]

7 [​IMG]

8 [​IMG]

P.S. - Note the buttresses supporting the trim tab, aft at the underside of the transom, just visible there in the water, a bit below the water surface.

9 [​IMG]

And here's the possible trim tab issue, as I don't see one on the above transom . . ? ?​

The below quote and picture come from the also above linked reply #14, note the red note in the sketch !

10 [​IMG]

‘‘ . . . . And Rob (aka) Cousin XL may get the final laugh. When he was helping me launch the boat yesterday he asked if I cut off the "built-in" trim tab called for in the original plans. If you recall, the original Mini Most plans call for the hull planking to extend beyond the transom about 3". In retrospect, that built-in trim tab would have allowed me to tilt the motor at a higher angle with no porpoising...I feel that if I tilt the motor up, (just like you have suggested) then the water splash over the transom will stop.

This winter, I think I need to fabricate some aluminum trim tabs........this will hopefully allow me to angle up the motor, stop the water splash and prevent porpoising.
    . . . . ’’

10. Angélique

11. maxmini

maxmini Junior Member

Angel thank you so much for the info . The boat just arrived home and pics are on thei way . I will post as I get them . I see the trim tab issue and understand how that could negatively impact the handling . I have a good friend in the town where the boat will be based who has his own wooden boat building business and has offered to assist in any way that might b needed . The trim tab issue may be something for him to look into . In any event this forum has already taken away any anxiety I may have had jumping into this arena .

Thanks again .

12. maxmini

maxmini Junior Member

IMG_7404.JPG IMG_7370.JPG IMG_7410.JPG IMG_7409.JPG IMG_7405.JPG IMG_7404.JPG IMG_7403.JPG IMG_7402.JPG IMG_7401.JPG IMG_7400.JPG IMG_7399.JPG IMG_7376.JPG IMG_7375.JPG IMG_7374.JPG IMG_7370.JPG IMG_7410.JPG IMG_7409.JPG IMG_7405.JPG Ok here are some more pics to check out . I really think it's very close to the minimost XL with a sligh differance around the compartment cover in the stern . The beautiful boat you pictured for comparison has a much smoother transition .
    Anyway here are a few of the shots he took for me today . The trailer was thrown in fo the deal and will be replaced with something more size appropriate :)

13. Angélique

It could be your boat is an intermediate version from the time they were adapting the plans from the Mini Most 8' to the Mini Most XL 10' versions, and it's also possible the builder of your boat made some modifications on his own initiative.

If you post pictures and dimensions of your boat at the Muskoka Seaflea forums, it could be the guys yonder know all the details of it, such as the brand of the watch of the guy who built your boat . . ;)

If you post there, please post a link here, as I would love to follow the topic . . :)

Note: I've added a P.S. below picture #8 in post #9.

Good luck !

14. maxmini

maxmini Junior Member

Great info as usual and I will join that forum ASAP and provide a link to this thread as well .
    Nice eye seeing the trim tab on that boat , it looks to be quite substantial in width . It's going to be tough not actually getting my hands personally on the boat until next summer or perhaps briefly over the Xmas holidays but I am in daily contact with my brother in law who is doing the pic taking for me and will be taking it out in the next few days to see just how it goes. Our first major task will be getting a proper trailer for it so storage will be less of an issue . We will also be letting the boat spend some time at my boat builder friends shop to give it a through going over . It's already been fun and I'm 3500 miles away from it :) Thanks for all your assistance .
    Randy

15. maxmini

maxmini Junior Member

Ok I joined the site as you suggested but the specific forum for the XL hasn't had any traffic since 2016 so I will wait and see. The general forum looks busy so if I do not get much feedback I will repost under the general section . Thanks again and here is the link .

While i have your attention we recently came across a 1993 johnson 50 which can be had VERY reasonable. The motor is listed at 190 lbs and the Nessen 40 that is on it already is 130. I am not as interested in the additional 10 hp as I am with the fact that the Johnson has power tilt which would be very convenient as one of the main spots I would be using the boat is very tide active with a lot of sand bars and it would be nice to dial it up while returning to the cabin.

new owner , many questions :) http://muskokaseaflea.ca/bb/index.php?topic=1592.0

I posted again in the main forum and I think that will get more activity. here is that link .

new owner , Mini Most XL http://muskokaseaflea.ca/bb/index.php?topic=1593.0

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.