Questions from the totally clueless

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Westfield 11, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

Is it just me or are there a lot of questions posted by people with no idea of what they are doing?

I am thinking of the ongoing patrolboat thread and now the fishing trawler thread that showed up this morning. In both cases one is left wondering why someone with so little knowledge or even common sense is tasked with such a project. Are these just kids playing around or what? Is this a form of cheating on an academic assignment? What gives?

1 person likes this.
  2. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

If they knew what they were doing, Why would they ask?

I came to this forum to learn, and in my very first post I let everyone know that "I Don't Know Diddly" in my case some very nice people took the time to explain things to me, and those people, I will not forget.

1 person likes this.
  3. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

In your case you seemed to know what you didn't know and were here to learn. Read the patrolboat thread or the new trawler thread to see what I mean about being clueless. The level of ignorance of the most basic concepts of design and construction, much less MARINE design and construction is appalling. Then consider that the posters in both cases were asking for someone not to educate, but to do the total job for them. For free!

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I think that some of these are just people yanking our chain, but a few are actually clueless persons who think they can ask a question like that and get a complete answer. I used to get phone calls asking similar questions. We were the Coast Guard so we should have all the answers, right?

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Does this mean you aren't keen to go to sea in their creations ? It could be a few enquiries are from students given assignments, and looking to avoid the chore of doing the work themselves. In which case their laziness will catch up with them sooner or later.

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Lest we indict newbies, can we agree that many of the OPs are honestly and sincerely asking for information or advice from more experienced and knowledgeable members?

Truth to tell there are some knotheads, but there are also some good people who are simply asking for help.

7. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

I learned....that the only way I can afford to do what I want is to buy a pontoon boat, strip the deck, nail a tent to the floor, wear a life jacket, and stay close enough to shore to swim for it.

8. aaronhl

aaronhl Senior Member

You must also realize this is a worldwide forum and not everyone is as effective at communicating as you might be. Don't confuse not knowing what they are doing to someone who may be struggling with English as a second language (this board is mostly English speaking)

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

It could be worse.

With all apologies to The Graduate: "I just want to say one word to you. ... Just one word: Congress."

(does it say something about me that my very first post is a dig against the ever dig-againstable members of Congress?)

10. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

Want to ***** about the forum, how many times is the answer 'if you have to ask, you don't know, hire a professional, buy some plans, don't build a boat, etc'

The forum should be called no-boat-design.

11. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A lot of queries have overtones of people wanting to re-invent the wheel. I think people who have been round boats know that small differences in design can make a big difference to performance, but if you cannot even identify the basic principles of boat design, and why they are the way they are in broad terms, you are going to create a clunker for sure, starting from scratch, hence the common advice to buy plans. A lot of people are seeking a creative outlet by coming up with something original, which does not take account of the fact that boats have to be fit for purpose, or be useless, or worse, dangerous. People are rightly directed to books on the subject, as the first port of call, if that does not appeal, they start to look like the kid that keeps asking mum "why" all the time !

12. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Reminds me of a not so trustworthy entrepreneut I met a long time ago. He was boasting.

"I am a businessman, I let the hungry ones do the work for me"

and,

"I use other people's money"

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Westfield, just wait until it's finals time in India's marine engineering courses. Lots of lovely questions, with fears for many of us about the prospects coming up through the rakes.

14. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

You cant always get what you want
    but if you try some time , you might find
    you get what you need.

15. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

After reading these posts I would ask, what is the purpose of a boat design net? Do you not want to share your knowledge with others? Is it a social club for guys in the boat business? I believe that what you think of as stupid questions that you learned the answer to in Marine Engineering 101 30 years ago are not common knowledge to someone who did not take that class because he took Accounting or something else. I spent my working days as a Toolmaker and I would bet that I can make a metal part to closer tolerances than most any of you who have not had the experience that I have. I was also a Musician and repaired and built musical instruments. I started a company with $1,000 and made a good living for many years and then sold the business for $175,000 to a young man who has been able to expand it. BUT, these things did not make me a designer or builder of boats. If you do not want to share your knowledge then don't. There is no reason to be critical of someone who wants to learn something new. Now, those who are asking you to do their schoolwork for them, I say let the warm yellow water fall right on their heads.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.