Questions for Staysail Yachts Ltd. Herreshoff H28 Sailboat Owners

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by s/v JESTER, Apr 19, 2018.

1. s/v JESTER

s/v JESTER Junior Member

Seeking information from owners of late 1970s early 1980s Staysail Yachts Ltd Herreshoff H28 sailboats. Any Staysail Yacht Ltd. Herreshoff H28 owners out there? It is my understanding Staysail Yachts Ltd. out of Huntington, NY produced their version of the H28 with an Airex cored hull. I would like to hear from owners concerning pros and cons of Staysail Yachts Ltd. version of Herreshoff's H28 sailboats and any specific problems related to this company's use of their Ariex cored hull. Thanks!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Countless companies used the H-28 design as the basis for their production efforts, approved or not. In other words, the H-28 set of shapes have nothing to do with the construction method choices you're questioning.

I guess my point is, can you be a bit more specific about your concerns. Are you looking at Staysail Yachts in general, the build method in general, Ariex in general or something more specific. Ariex has a good reputation and has worked very well in countless 10's of thousands of yachts world wide. Of course, this is all dependent on prep and techniques used by the specific manufactures. Staysail wasn't in business long (4 -5 years if memory serves) which could suggest they made bad yachts, or they were just poorly operated. The H-28 version they did looks like a very close representation of the origional, which is good (an easy design to screw up with changes) and they seem to have been well equipped with quality hardware. As to the rest of it, well, the boat at this point would be old enough to require major upgrades, refits and repairs, so maybe more specifics in what you're asking is in order.

3. s/v JESTER

s/v JESTER Junior Member

PAR, Thank you for your reply to my inquiry concerning Staysail Yacht Ltd. Herreshoff H28 sailboats. My specifics only apply to Staysail Yachts Ltd. H28. First, as I have many questions, I must ask if you own a SYL Herreshoff H28? My intent was to locate and start a dialog with owners of this version of H28s, pros and cons. Specific to acquiring information regarding SYL H28s, I began with a post to say 'hello, I'm out here, would like to know of other SYL H28 owners and initially should I have any concerns in regards to SYL manufacturing process of their Airex cored hulls'. The content of your reply leads me to assume you have first hand experience with the SYL company. Can you elaborate on the history of the company, it's owners, employees, manufacturing production of their H28 (i.e. units produced), at what venues where their H28 boats shown, etc? Do you know of any original manufacturer's brochures that still exist from the company's short span, or as you suggest, might the company have produce poor quality vessels and/or was the company irresponsibly managed and all information vanished along with their poorly manufactured vessels? If you do not personally own a SYL H28 to offer first hand experience, can you direct me with those individuals/owners you know who do own one? Thanks

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It may simple be better to ask what you're really after. Are you looking to purchase a StaySail H-28" If so, has it been survived? Why not? This particular version, though a fairly accurate representation, wasn't an authorized build, by Herreshoff. There are certain generalizations that can be made about yachts of this era and I've pointed out a few, but specific questions as to what you need would be more helpful, than a dissertation on a long expired company, it's production preferences, attributes, management style, etc. Additionally, anyone looking to purchase a yacht of this vintage, should certainly look to have inspected, all systems, equipment, rig, etc., as though some upgrades may have been made, you'll need to verify the quality of the equipment, the install and the current condition. This would be standard fare for a yacht of this era, particularly the later ones built, as resin choices and other issues can come to the table, from early 80's builds.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.