share some of the experience and resource learning boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by en360, Nov 20, 2010.

1. en360

en360 Junior Member

Hello everyone, I would like to share some of the experience and resource that helped me in my yacht design learning process. After I graduated from university, I worked in a yacht design company. My major was the ship building and design which is quite different with yacht, so I have to work hard by myself for the yacht.
    Books
    Books are essential tool for the learning, I brought the books from amozon, there are some second hand books but in very good condition.
    Principles of Yacht Design Larsson, Lars and Rolf E. Eliasson. Principles of Yacht Design New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2000. ASIN: B000OG021W.
    The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders, Designers, and Owners by: Dave Gerr. Hard Cover, 368 pages, richly illustrated with examples, formulas, tables, charts, drawings, and photos. Publisher: International Marine Publishing Company, Division of McGraw-Hill Companies
    MARINE COMPOSITES by Eric Greene, free download from www.marinecomposites.com.
    Fibreglass Boats: Construction, gel coat, stressing, blistering, repair, maintenance by: Hugo du Plessis Adlard Coles; 5 edition (August 15, 2010)
    Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook: How to Design, Install, and Recognize Proper Systems in Boats By: Dave Gerr International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press; 1 edition (December 22, 2008)
    The Nature of Boats By: Dave Gerr, The good book for boat Lover.
    Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems by Nigel Calder International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press; 3 edition (May 31, 2005)
    Powerboater's Guide to Electrical Systems, Second Edition by: Edwin Sherman International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press; 2 edition (July 23, 2007)
    Yacht Style: Design and Decor Ideas for Your Boat by: Daniel Spurr International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press; 1 edition (April 1, 1997)
    Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of the Offshore Yachts by: Stephen L. Davis W. W. Norton & Company; 1st edition (May 1987)
    Free Magazines
    ProBOAT is the best magazines for boat builder and designer. You can subscribe to magazines online : http://www.magazineforfree.com/subs.asp?pubid=pbb&sourcecode=PS.
    And you can read the past issues on line: http://www.proboat.com/digital-issues.html
    European Boat builder is designed to serve the interests of professionals involved with the design and construction of pleasure boats and small commercial craft. Official website: http://www.europeanboatbuilder.net/ You can subscribe to magazines :
    http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/ebb/subs_form.html
    Rules and Standards
    Most of the boat design needs to meet the requirement of a certain yacht design class society such as Lloyd’s Register (LR), American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), Det Norske Veritas (DNV), Bureau Veritas (BV), Germanischer Lloyd (GL), etc. The ISO Standards and ABYC Standards are very useful today, You can purchase the ABYC standards from ABYC website.
    Software
    MAXSURF Formation Design Systems Web: www.formsys.com
    There are a few of programs in Maxsurf package, I believe Maxsurf and Hydromax are very important and helpful for the yacht design. You can use Maxsurf to crate the hull shape and use the Hydromax to do the large angle stability experiment. There are some video instructions on their official website.
    Rhino
    Rhino is very good software for molding the boat especially for the superstructure. Export the hull which created by Maxsurf into Rhino, and then can molding the superstructure and interior design. With the Plug RhinoMarine, you can do some stability calculations.

AutoCAD
    AutoCAD is the most popular CAD software. Drawing GA and some detial drawing by AutoCAD is a good way.

Online course
    The MIT open course Yacht design website
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-996-sailing-yacht-design-13-734-fall-2003/

2 people like this.