Questions about stripping and re-varnishing interior mahogany

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by magentawave, Nov 14, 2019.

1. magentawave

magentawave Senior Member

I just bought a boat that was built over 40 years ago. This boat has nice mahogany joiner work below that ranges from looking beautiful - to worn and dirty. Before I take on the momentous task of stripping, sanding and re-varnishing everything, I was wondering about a couple things...

After I strip, sand and re-varnish the dirty areas then those "new" surfaces won't match the 40 year old patina of the wood that I did nothing to.

QUESTIONS:

1) Got any suggestions for minimizing the differences in tone between the old surfaces and new, or am I relegated to stripping, sanding and re-varnishing everything?

2) If I have to strip, sand and revarnish everything, then what would you use to strip varnished wood INSIDE? I'm hoping to find something with fumes that won't kill me. How about "painting" the wood with Citristrip then leave it wrapped for a day in Saran Wrap?

Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are several water based strippers that work well. They are not as aggressive as the chlorinated solvent types, but they won't kill you either.

3. magentawave

Any particular names that you can recommend - that actually work?

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Photos would help heaps.

You may be in luck.
    DON'T start sanding and stripping just yet.
    The grime may wash off. I'd try "Howard's"citrus cleaner. Then a citrus de-greaser

If the existing varnish is mostly sound, then it may only need spot repairs and touch ups.

Post lots of pictures before declaring the varnish DOA.

5. magentawave

Okay, I'm encouraged now! Thanks. Is this the Howard's citrus cleaner you were referring to? Orange Oil Wood Polish | Howard Products https://www.howardproducts.com/product/orange-oil-wood-polish/

6. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I've been away from wood refinishing for a few years.

I love Howard's products. They work as intended.

That one might work. It will certainly do no harm. I thought they made a "stronger" cleaner..

Start gentle then progress to harsher chemicals if needed.

Pics would help me give you more focused advice.

7. magentawave

Thanks. I'll get some photos in the next couple of days and post them here.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.