Female toolin-whats the matter, dont yall like chicks?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Cat Cruiser, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Cat Cruiser

Cat Cruiser Junior Member

Yea, this place is seemingly a parellel universe. Guys making wooden forms and lining with foam strips and covering them with fiberglass cloth and epoxy-and coming out with an outer skin thats an 1/8th " thick--where's the EEK icon1?!?. its impressive to see stuff -projects like a different cat did here recently and that yoshi 48 utube photo stream,,,, But to be perfectly honest - something over 45 ft made this way,, there would be no way in hell I'de head out into the open ocean in one.
    These type boats perhaps makes a nice "lagoon cat" - that could live its life in the chesapeake- as long as the outer laminate is thick skinned enough to start with -as well as every other detail BUILT to withstand whatever may come..
    The mother can just dish WAAY too much out for something constructed any amateur way. ( but the debri field would easily be spotted-strung out for 1/4 of a mile).

The way I was taught is the way it makes sense- IN -On PRODUCTION MOLDS.

My first on the job experience was getting barked at--"go over there and get one of those rollers working- QUICK"

On the deck crew we had to mold -making sure there was NO AIR - hand laid with a bucket and 4' brush, ROLLED. There was no "machine from hell" in that boat shop. Molding like this makes the best resin to fiber content -there is no excess. and then on the hull crew I learned about the best teqnique s for a standard ski or lightweight Kevelar race boats with foam core reinforcement.
    I have an old issue of PBB with an article about a lobster boat builder--" Waynes world" a no schoolboy nonsense zone where its done the same way. They mentioned Wayne's favorite tool was a bubble roller--like it was some odd artifact from another world.
    Chopper guns pretty much make pieces of junk in most cases-as far as boats are concerned.
    They are best used for industrial pieces-like utility truck bodys.

later having to repair some lake sailboats I realzed what quality I had been trained to do from the get go. the average sailboat is a POS thats inevitably going to be a bumped bubbled hunk of junk because it seems they dont even skincoat with a layer of mat, they sorta half *** spray a layer of chop in and -i guess somewhat attempt "rolling". Having etched out more than a couple sailboats blisters I can tell exactly these piles of $$het didnt have any effort in making something with what could be called a decent laminate, they just blew in 5/8"s of chop, and thats an average 27 Ft LAKE sailboat.
    Something exposed to saltwater built the same way is going to suffer that much more.

anyway back to oneoffs- These one off projects- where guys attempt to actually accomplish their dream is admirable, but the foam strip "quick cat" really is best left for areas where someone can save them when it all comes unglued.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It would be good if you could offer more than ornery opinions. Are there any facts backing your statements? Insulting a whole industry seems pretty arrogant.

3. Cat Cruiser

Cat Cruiser Junior Member

I think you read what I wrote the wrong way, guys renting space and building one offs out of foam strips is not the "industry".
    If you want facts about lightweights succoming to mother natures wrath - try searches, about - offshore raceboat catastrophies, or other clever worded trys. Even the best have had failures and near fatalities-- like Fabio Bussi for example.
    And I wasn't insulting anyone except ~perhaps~ people building crap with chopperguns, without even trying to do decent work.
    The old analoug way of hand laying is becoming side steped by the Industry heavyweights now, and infusion is becoming the norm for lots--but they still usually do a skincoat just as I described first--with either a bunch of brushes -or paint rollers (which makes a heavier -lays down too much resin). and rolling out ALL air-leaving ANY in is going to blister on an ocean boat
    The industry thats worth mentioning strives to make stuff thats B U I L T
    to withstand what Mother can dish out!

Scroll down to the bottom to see some female fab.
    http://luxurycatamaran.blogspot.com/2013/07/augustus-gunboat-news.html
    build them light-- build them narrow, But build them B U I L T!

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

In about 90% of the factories I visit, people who perform under par, also have been trained under par. (usually no training at all, or perhaps half an hour.)

As for cored boats, because that is half of your rant, it does not matter technically how a cored boat is made: over male framing, or in female moulds. End effect is the same: a foam core, with skins on.

When properly engineered, nothing wrong with that, and there is a huge amount of boats built that way. By DIY-ers, but by far the most by boat yards. So yes, you ARE trying to insult a whole industry.

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I'm quite fond of contact molded boats too.... of course not everyone has a massive shed & molds & budget, they can make exceptional boatbuilders & boats if they follow follow accepted practices & good design info & keep up the effort until finished. The big mother ocean can be pretty tough but most repairs I've come across relate to crap ply installed in the eighties by hero businessmen boatbuilding enterprises or by rubbing against the shore/bottom/wharf or other vessels, even apparently $hit built boats "full of oz" are usually relatively cheaply repaired.... people love to whinge when they buy a "cheap" boat & need to pay for repairs on their discount luxury item..................................:( boo hoo:rolleyes: