Questions about Cross 34 trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by magentawave, Sep 11, 2019.

1. magentawave

magentawave Senior Member

I just bought a beautiful Cross 34 trimaran which Norm lengthened to 36' because of the sugar scoop transom. (The sugar scoop was part of the original build and NOT added later.) She has symmetrical hulls and was built in 1978 with epoxy and tortured plywood. Apparently there was a time when Norm rented a yard in San Diego where buyers of his plans could build their boats and Norm was present to answer questions. My tri was built in that yard.

I have a couple questions so I'm hoping someone will chime in that has knowledge of his designs...

1) The boat draws 5'-2" (62"). Does anyone know if such a deep draft indicates that it was built with Norms later and better fin keel design?

2) She's going to need new bottom paint soon but haulouts are $1500 here plus $150 per day yard fee. Aaargh. Last haulout they rested the fin keel on some 2x material and supported the amas with stands. So, to save a couple thousand dollars, I was wondering what your thoughts would be about doing the bottom while the boat is beached during a negative low tide in the calm waters of Mission Bay in San Diego? I don't think this would be that difficult to do with a multi that has a centerboard or dagger boards, but the deep fin keel on this one makes me wonder if it's feasible.

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

The structure will stand it but having a brace/ box under a ama to reduce the heel will make it less alarming. That is one of Norm's fast cruisers. Based on the 31 I think but more beam, length and sail area for more speed. It should have a deeper keel with I think a foil cross section instead of the straight timber of the 31 but won't have the full delta treatment of the R boats.

Those are nice boats, lots of room above and below and good performance if not overloaded. Don't expect to run with Farriers, it is a cruising tri.

3. magentawave

The anemometer thingee is stuck at the top of the mast so not working but in the trial sail we easily hit almost 6 knots in very light wind. The keel does have a foil cross section.

The one particularly surprising thing about this design was how little the center hull draws without the keel vs lets say a Searunner because when you lift the floorboards there's only a few inches there storage. That's good for speed but not good for stowing the heavy stuff.

What would you suggest I do to prevent the keel from sinking into the mud as the tide drops? Do you think placing a couple 6 x 8 blocks of wood under the keel would do the trick?

4. magentawave

Here she is...
    IMG_9329.JPG

Corley likes this.
  5. cavalier mk2

Looks great! The timbers should do the trick, 3 if it is really soft. I've done this many times on the Nicol, you push them under at a angle and work them down while there is still about a foot of water under the keel. If you don't make it the aero section won't sink in too far depending on your mud. I'm not familiar with those waters so make sure the bottom is firm enough to support you standing with out sinking in up to your elbows.

6. magentawave

Thanks for replying again. The bottom there is pretty solid. I probably won't do this until the first of the year when we get super wide tidal swings. The last hurdle was the possibility of the Life Guards freaking out but I just called and they said they don't care as long as I don't pollute. Yay! This is great news because it will save me around $2000.00.

7. cavalier mk2

Spread a tarp so you look environmentally PC. I'd make the float support too. It can take a minute to get the knack of submerging the timbers and walking them in, a wet suit and mask can be handy. If you do a dive at.the dock you'll get an idea of what you are dealing with.

8. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Magentawave, congratulations on your new boat, it's a beauty. How exactly are you supposed to not pollute when you need to sand the old antifouling at least for keying? In California where just opening a can of paint near a body of water makes you a bona fide suspect? I certainly would not try it, especially not on a public beach. Even if the lifeguards leave you alone (and I doubt you told them about the scraping, sanding and painting in your call) somebody is going to call the cops just because you "run aground" and they gonna call the EPA and those guys are going to make the 2000$ the boatyard wants look like small change. Just call the EPA and ask if you are allowed to scrape and sand paint then repaint on a public beach at low tide.

9. cavalier mk2

Good points, how to do something is different than is it legal to do something.

10. cavalier mk2

Here is an idea Magenta. Go to the cruisers forum multihull section and find the Searunner thread. If you aren't a member get enough posts in and sign up then PM Roy M. He is in the San Diego area with a Searunner 40 for years. If anyone knows about hauling and beaching affordably in your area it will be him.

11. cascadia

cascadia New Member

Great looking trimaran magentawave. As a monohull sailor, I have never sailed on a trimaran. Curious how she sails for you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.