Questions about clear gel coat, carbon fiber and vacuum bagging

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Chris Herzog, May 22, 2009.

1. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog New Member

Guys,

I’ve made a couple parts using fiberglass mat followed by a 4.5oz Carbon / Kevlar hybrid material. Normally I use 6oz fiberglass cloth over the mat but I want to use the hybrid material for the looks of it. Is anyone else doing a lay-up like this? I’m just wondering about the parts delaminating. I have not had a problem with it yet…I’m just wondering about it happening.

Also, I want to look into vacuum bagging these parts to cut down on time and weight. I’m a one man operation and my largest part is about 70” long by 24” wide with lots of curves and corners. I don’t make a bunch of this stuff so it may not be worth it to buy all the equipment to do it.

Anyway, I have plenty of questions about clear gel coat, carbon fiber (the hybrid stuff) and vacuum bagging if someone has the time.

Thanks
    C Herzog

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.