Questions about a rowing boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nonimportant, Jul 18, 2011.

1. nonimportant

nonimportant New Member

Hello

Hope this is the right section.

I am new to just about everything thats connected to boats. I live by a river and a few years ago my brother made a boat out of fiberglass, ordinary boat. Now the thing is i want to build a boat myself.
    I however want to build a rowing boat. Something like this:

http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/articles/building/oxford_shell/index.html

At home i have a bunch of Spruce planks. Some are 4,5m in length and 5cm in width, others 4,5m in length and 2,5cm in width. Are they of any use, or is plywood the only material really to be used.

As ive looked for plans on the net, it seems there are no free ones. The plans for Oxford shell for exsample cost around 100€... Are there any free plans, similar to the boat in the link ?

How much would a project like this cost me (considering i somehow got the plans) ? Although a silly question, is it hard to build this kind of boat for a person with no woodcrafting exp.

Thanks for any advice.