Question to sailors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by =D=, Feb 9, 2007.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

perhaps you are refering to a us army officer who ,,when asked to surrender to nazi forces ,,replid ,,,nutz,,,,but then again ,,,you may be just describing me?,,,,,,,,,,longliner

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That was my old outfit. Surrounded by two Panzer divisions, the 101st Airborne Division and elements of the 10th Mountain Division were asked to hold Bastogne France, as it was a crossroad of the major thoroughfares westward. A major push by the Nazis (later known as the Battle of the Bulge) through the Ardenne Forest, forced this and had caught the allies off guard, over Christmas week 1944. They arrived with no winter clothing, short on rations and ammo and got hammered for a week, when the Germen officer felt the need to offer surrender terms to the clearly over matched American infantry. The 101st's commander's (Gen. McAuliffe) reply was simply "nuts". At the time it was a common phrase meaning "forget it", but was described to the German command as "go to hell". The 101st held Bastone and by December 26, Patton's 3rd Army had disengaged from battle, turned north and counter attacked (in two days). The Germans needed Bastogne and allied fuel supplies (which they planned to capture). Denied both, the counter assault to divide the allied invasion was over. Brand new Tiger and Super Tiger tanks were burned in place (out of fuel) and the Nazis walked back home, literally.

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I knew there was something I liked about you paul,,,,longliner,,,by the way ,,,,,,,,airborne

4. raw

raw Senior Member

18.4 knots in a 24 foot sportsboat (own design). That day ended in a broken mast and big smiles.

but considering I've raced 18's and nacras amongst others, top speed would have to be in mid 20's at least. Never measured though.

also have a memory of sailing a 125 in my youth. (Aussies will know what that is - 12.5ft ply dinghy) Coming in after racing in big conditions (kite up) following my brothers 125 boat down the channel in flat water. A power boat he was running beside hunted him down on the beach to tell him he caught up to them when they were sitting on 18 knots.

fun stuff.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Paul,'liner in this case I was actually referring to longliner being slightly...........not the 'Great and Brave' amongst fighting men (actually that one word statement or one's like it has been contributed to several great soldiers in similar situations throughout the history of the world - just happens to be an American who gave the only polite version! makes a nice change I guess)

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Roughly 12knots last in my 'floating coffin' (see pic in 'Kerosene mix with diesel post - 14/12/05). We were under a stiff breeze heading for NZ last month, bermuda rig, jib and genoa.
    By the by, I think Walrus is mistaken about position of Orion's Belt. The belt is currently seen Nor-West of my place (Far South Coast NSW) about 10pm. A vertical line of three distinctive stars. Walrus, bless him I believe is confusing them with the 'plough', known in the U.S as the Big Dipper. So perhaps he taught navigation to the RN boys picked up in Iran recently....:D

7. safewalrus

Bergalia you old sot (or is that scot - no I'll stick with original) great to see you about! Trouble woth the stars is they kkep moving at different times of the year, can't remember what I said exactly, but did I mention that sometimes it was in the sky and now and then he took the bloody thing off (to crys of 'my girdle is killing me!'). don't think anyone taught that lot navigation - nor armoureddinnerjacket either when it comes to it! there was a girly in the crew and she was one of the cox'ns need I say more!

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

There you go, my old barnacle encrusted friend... A woman on board. Not like in our young days, eh. Three things you never ship aboard: A woman, a coffin, or a church minister. Shiver me thinggy - what's the modern navy coming to...:D

9. safewalrus

Yeah, they had a bad time of it apparantly, solitary (what yer own cabin - bloody luxury) stripped and made to wear pyjamas (now brown hatters overalls would make me unhappy) blindfolded and other nasty stuff terrible state of affairs - now it would appear the MOD are allowing them to sell their 'stories' look out 'womens own'

Wait until Gordy gives 'em a 126 for a couple of RIB's and a few personal weapons! he! he! that'll cost!