Apple Pie pram rowing tender

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Corley, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've been playing around with a little stitch and glue (7' x 3.6') pram rowing tender recently. Building to a free design by Chuck Merell inspired an older design originally called a Rinky Dink drawn by William Atkin. The free plans can be found on Duckworks if you are interested: https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM2000/columns/slogging/ApplePie/ApplePie2.pdf

My young daughters go to Girl Guides so I've been toying around with something simple and stable that can be built with cheap ply so my kids can get a feel for some simple boat building and possibly expand into something that can be put together by the others in the group for a modest cost. Ply was some Luan 6mm and 12mm that I found at the local hardware so it will be interesting to see how it goes, seems adequate for a small boat.

The final build will integrate some fixed buoyancy for safety by closing in the area under the front and rear seats. It's a very simple boat and will be ideal for a slow flowing and protected river nearby for them to have a bit of fun learning how to row. This time I'm using copper wire for the stitch and glue that I have left over from another build I've been tinkering with on and off.

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Good on you Corley. Great dads are involved with their sons and daughters in positive ways.

The little boat appears to be a typical pram of one stripe or another. Depends on the age and degree of social developmental sophistication of your daughter. If she is a teen ager maybe she needs something a bit more elaborate. If still a youngster then the pram might well be a joy to her. Keep up the good work in either case.

Corley likes this.
  3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks, yes both are young the eldest is 8 years old now youngest is 5 years old so I think this ideal at this stage. Considered a quick canoe or kayak but think the better stability of this might be more fun for them and they can row each other around. I think it will be good to row out to my trimaran on its mooring too as a bit lighter than my plastic tender.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.