Question Regarding Classic Tall Ships....

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Guest-20180727, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Guest-20180727

Guest-20180727 Previous Member

Hello,
    I was wondering if anybody knows of a shipyard (doesn't matter where). Where they design and make wooden tall ships without engines and other technical rubbish. Just strictly old style, with sails, and a hull of wood as well.
    Around 80 ft tall, and although I do not like talking about my wallet online, lets just say the cost isn't very important.
    Thank you very much,
    Tony.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In a word, yes. There are a surprising number of traditional builders around the world. In this country there a quite a few, but on you side of the puddle, there are also several, well respected firms.

If you contact me through email (click on my name) I can point you toward several in your general area.

3. kitski

kitski kitski

Turkey is pretty good at building wooden ships - they churn gulets out at many traditional yards, but tend to go for Pitch Pine planking which apparently has a finite life... Having said that, the replica 18th century frigate Grand Turk (as seen in Hornblower series) was built in Turkey and is still going strong. Mike Turk is the owner - might be worth Googleing if you want to find out more.
    Otherwise, I have heard of large sailing vessels built in the far East fairly satisfactorily - there is an example (only 60ft but there you go) on George Beuhler's website http://www.georgebuehler.com/index.html which may interest you.
    Finally, I'm a professional with square-rig experience, so if you ever need a UK-qualified ex-RN captain...!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.