salvaged v hull fishing boat as main trimaran hull

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by markstrimaran, Dec 7, 2014.

1. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

Working on a 14.5 ' trailerable trimaran. Aft masted stay sail riged

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You mean a vee-hulled planing powerboat hull ? Making life difficult for yourself trying to adapt that.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The worst of both worlds. A hull with high drag and a low performance rig. Why the choice?

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The third naysayer to weigh in here says: Don't build a pig boat by using a power hull for a sailing hull. It will float but will perform miserably.....or worse.

5. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Have you considered using a wakeboard pylon as the pivot axle for a wing sail rig and adding HyperFoilbles(tm)? You will need the power of a wing sail and the drag reduction of the foils to make the best use of the planing hull of the base boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. markstrimaran

vee hull trimaran

Mostly a proto type. for a aft masted rig. Posting pictures

Attached Files:

7. markstrimaran

vee hull trimaran

All of my summer pictures are too large to post. I can't afford a farrier. So far other than dagger board balance issues it sails good. Its purpose is too be a fishing platform well trolling at 2mph. I was using 2 canoes as amas. It is 4 foot wide main section. With 18' sol catataraman donor. Design for fast launching. 20 minutes from trailer to sailing. If I kept the center hull thin and narrow it would be too small to sleep on. And it fits in my garage

8. markstrimaran

profile drawing

So how slow will it go with a 26' tall 150% genoa 14.5 sail foot. in a 10 knot wind. Center hull 5' at the water line planing

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

that's actually a pretty good idea, if it can reach lift off speed for the foils the fat main hull will not be a problem , needs doug lord to get on here and give his advice.

10. markstrimaran

trolling for walleye at 20 knots

need to build a floating ice boat. simple. Until you hit a floating log

11. markstrimaran

figured out how too post 5meg pictures

Here she is an a calm day

Attached Files:

12. markstrimaran

Back stay mount on aft mast

Carbon fiber spars are not an option. Yet
    The aft masted rig produces a lever effect. At the mast step with the bow side support spar acting as the fulcum. Has enouph force to pop 3" of steel welds. in a 30knot gust. This is an old 26' hobie cat mast. The mast base is now welded solid. The next weak like is 4 1/2" bolts holding the mast onto a 3" x 1.5" 14 guage steel tube that is embeded in fiber glass 18oz.
    I am working on the backstay location. Mostly the best way to mount a single spreader. On the stern side of the mast. Mostly to increase tension on the bow stay.

The slot in the mast faces the bow and serves as a side to raise and lower a jib stay. The mast head pully goes to the bow point.

Cutting the mast down is an option latter. Useing a bigger mast section latter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  13. markstrimaran

trimaran for fishing

Aft mast is now bolted onto an extention that allows it to lay flat on the cabin roof. Raising the mast takes about 30 seconds. If it was located traditionaly. The mast would have to be completely derigged for trailering and take 2 persons to raise.

Another plus is that the sails can be droped with one hand," 2 fingers" and the boat depowered very quickly, when fishing.

After a heavy rain floating trees are a serious threat. So going super fast would be like taking a lambourgini down a 4 wheel drive jeep trail.

It started after a drought a few years back dried up the canoeable rivers.

Attached Files:

14. rayinok

rayinok Junior Member

Mark we bumped into each other on E-bay

Mark.
    Hi! You have quite a job ahead of you. Since you have no cost in the hull you might as well experiment. You just might come up with a workable idea for you. If you are primarily interested in a fishing platform then what you are considering doing would work pretty well. If the Solcat sails are still good. you may consider keeping them so you still have the Solcat complete. You may want to consider using a canoe as a center hull, or use both of them for more storage. You can easily rig up a sleeping platform with a cover for the canoes, or over the hull you are considering for that matter.
    Ray in OK

15. markstrimaran

The trimaran

I am tempted too keep it all. I already have 4 other sails and a sewing machine that will keep up with the alterations.
    I thought about keeping the sol cat parts for some day. Most of my sailing, is with out much sleep the day before and also at night soloing.
    The canoe trimaran configuration would have sank several times had the bilge pumps quite working. The lake gets very rough it's shallow and the cliffs along the shore make for some serious white water.
    I might be able to use the jib sail. But my budget needs me to sale it for parts to purchase 8 gallons of polyurethane floatation foam. My plan was to use two old kayaks as amas but I decided on a catamaran hull mostly for the sink ability issue.
    A dependable Johnson is great item also. I use a long shift on a built up transom.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.