Westlawn Vs Traditional N.A. Degree

Discussion in 'Education' started by tarhull87, Oct 31, 2006.

1. tarhull87

tarhull87 New Member

I am currently at a liberal arts college with no real hope of taking any engineering/yacht design courses, but lately I have become very interested in yacht design and I believe that I want to make a career or it, or something similar in the yacht business. Are there many alumni of Westlawn who are succesful without having study experience other than Westlawn?

Thanks

2. dgerr

dgerr Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Frankw

Frankw New Member

Question for Dave - Westlawn

Dave what kind of job placement do you all see after completeing the Westlawn yacht design modules?

4. dgerr

dgerr Senior Member

Like any school or university Westlawn never guarantees jobs to students. That said, we generally have more positions posted on our job board than we are able to fill. Positions range from entry-level CAD drafters to senior designers with 10 or 15 years of experience. The type of job depends on your abilities, industry needs, and your other experience in boating. As you’ll see from some of the other posts about Westlawn on this forum, many Westlawn students find positions in the industry before completing the entire Westlawn course.

In addition to independent design firms, our alumni find positions in production management, marine surveying, CNC tooling companies, repair yards, marina management, as charter crew, at boating magazines, in industry associations such as at ABYC or NMMA, and more.

In the past few years Westlawn alumni have been employed by design firms such as Farr International, Sparkman & Stephens, and Tom Fexas Yacht Design (to name just a few), as well as by many production builders, from Luhrs/Mainship, to Island Packet, to Glacier Bay Catamarans, to Hargrave Custom Yachts, to Tiara, to Westport, and on and on. Many firms (such as Sparkman & Stephens, Fexas, Luhrs/Mainship, Ocean Yachts, etc.) have each employed several Westlawn alumni over the years. We have lost count, for instance, of how many Westlawn alumni have worked as designers at Sparkman & Stephens, but it’s almost certainly over two dozen.

As posted elsewhere on the Education From, Westlawn alumni are everywhere in the marine industry. See:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11067

and see:

http://216.119.80.31/who/success.asp
    and
    http://216.119.80.31/who/testimonials.asp

As I have said in other posts, explore the Westlawn website

www.westlawn.edu

and then give us a call to discuss your goals.

Dave Gerr
    Director
    Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology

5. deepbluedreams

deepbluedreams New Member

westlawn

Mr Gerr,
    I am very interested in enrolling in Westlawn. I am a veteran and I would like to use the GI BILL to pay for the program. I have sent two emails to westlawn asking if you have any info as to how to use the gi bill for your program, but I have not received a response. Have you had any students in the past use the GI Bill, if so could you tell me how to go about this. If not thanks anyway.

Derek Roy

6. dgerr

dgerr Senior Member

I’m not sure why you didn’t get a response to your emails. We usually answer all emails within one business day, almost never more than two. In any case, Westlawn is not currently set up for GI-Bill tuition payments. This will probably change soon. Check back in about 8 to 12 months. Call us if you have any further questions.

Dave Gerr
    Director
    Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology

7. bobothehobo

bobothehobo Junior Member

deepblue,

The Landing School in Kennebunkport, Maine has a design program and they are set up to accept GI Bill (as far as i know last year a student in the design program did in fact fund his education via that manner) You should contact dennis collins at the school.

cheeers,
    bobo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.