Question on Ship's propulsion system...Plz help me

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by singhmandy, Jun 28, 2007.

1. singhmandy

singhmandy Junior Member

I have attached a question in word file. Plz try to answer it for me. I am need....

Attached Files:

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I believe it is impossible to calculate with present information. I you had hp of engines maybe. But since hp/resistance is not linear then reducing by half wont necessarily be half but maybe something else could be calculated.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

This has been answered before on this forum.

Draw the thrust speed curve for half power - the first point will be 14ktsts, 45,000lb thrust; the second point will 16kts, 40050lb.

The intersection of this half power curve will be the speed achieved. It is about 14.8kts.

This assumes the unpowered props are free wheeling and not contributing any additional drag.

There in another way to arrive at the same answer but this one involves the least assumptions.

Rick W.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.