OMC ball gears, intermediate housings, etc.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Bill55AZ, May 6, 2007.

1. Bill55AZ

Bill55AZ Junior Member

Where do I find the one true and accurate source for interchange of intermediate housings and shafts? I hear that the actual outdrives are almost universal, but that the intermediate housings underwent some changes, some good, some bad, BUT that the housings can be swapped around as a complete unit (with correct shaft/coupler according to brand of motor used). I have a 70 IMP with damaged intermediate housing, and an entire 72 drivetrain, and want to use the 72 intermediate housing (with tapeded roller bearing, a one year thing) until I can find a better unit that takes the 73-77 ball gears/shaft/ etc.
    Also, is it a bad thing to have the ball gears mismatched? The one on the outdrive is new, the one on the 72 intermediate housing has about 25% wear.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.