How to change the Alternater belt?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Art, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Art

Art New Member

I am looking to replace the alternator belt but I am not sure what has to be undone. The mount that holds the engine in place looks like it has to be removed and lift the engine to get the belt out. Is that correct?

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Alt Belt

I would be very surprised if a motor mount needs to be removed. Belts are considered consumables. They need to be changed on a regular basis. Unless you have an extremely unusual set up, having to remove the engine to change it does not make sense. Normally the belt is tensioned either by an idler pully or the alternator itself. Loosening the idler or alternator and rotating them out of the way will allow enough slack to remove the belt. I just realized this was the outboard page. I may be very wrong, but it still doesn't make sense to make an alt belt hard to change.

3. Art

Art New Member

Thanks. I have an I/O where the engine is inside so I didn't actually see a I/O board! I have looked at the engine 10 ways to sunday, find no way to pull off the belt and replace without the engine out being removed. The alternator belt travels outside of one mount and back inside the other. Strange!

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Belt

Can you post a picture?

Are the mounts under the engine or on the sides? Sometimes stabilizers are added to reduce torque roll, they can be disconnected without removing the engine.

model of boat and engine might help also. Have you asked the question in the power boat forum?

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Cant you get a manual for this motor. Im sure that in South Florida bay there must be loads of places dealing in inboard motors.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.