Question on an item on the hull bottom of a sportfish

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by SuenosAzules, Jul 13, 2013.

1. SuenosAzules

SuenosAzules Junior Member

A question for anyone that may know this: I recently surveyed a 1987 48' Sportfish and came across two hollow metal pipes running along the port side of the keel on the hull bottom. It did not appear to be connected to anything on the inside of the hull. The hollow pipes had drilled holes in them approximately every 12 inches. The captain of the vessel did not know what the pipes were as well and said the vessel had the pipes fastened on the hull bottom when the vessel was purchased several years ago. The only history on the vessel that I was told is that the keel had been rebuilt a few years prior (which was obvious to see when the bottom was inspected). I just could not figure out what the use of these pipes were. Any insight in what these were used for would be helpful. Below are the photos of the fastened pipes and the hull bottom of this vessel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

Ground plane for single-sided band, loran, or lightning...
    Gerald

1 person likes this.
  3. SuenosAzules

SuenosAzules Junior Member

Thank you.. Most likely Counterpoise for a SSB

Thank you Gerald for your input. I believe you are right. I also got some outside input that this is most likely what it is. A counterpoise for a single side band radio (which none was on board at the time). I have seen the copper wire mesh in the engine rooms on some other vessels. I also had a old 42' Grand Banks boat I surveyed years ago that had copper sheeting under the fiberglass that was used for counterpoise for its onboard single side band radio. Many people were unsure what it was until I talked to an older fellow that had experience with these boats and told me exactly what it was. I have enclosed those photos below of that Grady White.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

In 1987 a loran was also a very important piece of of equipment aboard.

You're welcome :) , copper mesh in the pilothouse roof or copper laminated with the hull could have been beneficial to a Loran and or a single-sided band but having the copper in direct contact with the ocean would be better on all accounts and provided some lightning protection.
    Gerald

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.